• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-520

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
Hello All, I might have a trade with CDX-501 for a Kenwood TS-520 and i have checked with mods-dk for 11 meter mod for this radio and couldn't find mod,can this radio be modded for 11m? I'm still interested in rig regardless as it has great reviews on eham and would make great back up rig for da shack. BTW this is a TS-520 model,not 520s or 520se. Any help would be great,TIA.
73,Stu

Stu, the TS520 is a crystal controlled radio, therefore it is capable of 11M. You will need to get crystals and insert them on the AUX portion of the band switch. The 520 is a great rig,(no WARC bands tho ), would be a great addition to your shack.
Ed

hi, yes it is, and as fasteddy said it require crystal replacement. but the 520 does not have an aux band switch. probably will have to lose 28.000-28.500 on 10 meter. i strongly recommend having a professional do this unless you are capable, i have never done it myself but understand that it can be tricky (i.e. no elbow room to work!). it also requires an alignment after the mod is performed.

520's are great radios, don't know if you are into HF or not but they do very well. no warc, and no general coverage receiver but they are still a lot of fun. WA4GEG aligned mine (didn't have 11 meter) and it did a fantastic job on it. he is very good with this vintage of radio. search his call if you are interested he has a website where you can contact him.

I had a 520S and the SE versions. The mod isn't that easy. The Xtals can be a pain to install within that small space. Never performed the mod but the receive is great on the rigs and the TX audio is also great.

Psst.. Don't tell the DSP folks... LOL

Good Luck.

I sold mine and picked up a JRC instead...

The crystal freq's are as follows.
35.395, 35.895, 36.395
These need to go were the ten meter crystals are.
They are located on the first board in the radio. When you open the top, you will see them. If you have never done this please let some one else do it. :LOL:

Um Datsun, wrong model.

The band-select crystals in the TS-520 are under the chassis deck. They're soldered into the front-most circuit-board that straddles the band-selector switch shaft. Gotta remove a shield cover. Getting to the crystals is really awkward. If you haven't converted a TS-520 before, consider letting somebody who has done it before get the job. The crystals would be easier to get to if you removed the band switch shaft, and removed the oscillator board where they are mounted. That leaves open the potential for error, getting all that stuff reinstalled correctly. Either way you choose, it's NOT easy.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Hey everyone thanks for all your replies,if i decide to do mod i will send it off to be done. From what i'v read this will make nice addition to shack.
73,Stu

nomadradio Wrote:
Um Datsun, wrong model.
Nope, not the wrong model because that is what I used in my rig and It works great. Ask anyone outhtere who has heard my station.
Kenwood TS-520 But you are right about the install.
It is best to pull the card out of the radio and solder the crystals in.

Hello All,I would like to know where could i get crystals for Kenwood ts-520? Also Datsun66 mentioned crystal freq. 35.395 which covers 27.000mhz thru 27.500mhz this is all i want,could i replace the original 28.000mhz thru 28.500mhz crystal with 35.395 crystal and be done?
73,Stu

And if Ken can't help you, there's an Ebay dealer named "SuperModulation", who sells them. Only in complete sets of four, though. Nothing says you have to convert all four bands, but he could be the fastest if not the cheapest. Just be sure to get the ones with wire leads. The pins on the "plug-in" version will require that you ream out the circuit-board holes. The wire-lead version will solder right in where the factory band crystal comes out.

Never have figured out why he offers the same crystal in both types of package. The stiff, short "plug-in" pins are just too fat to fit in the original circuit-board holes.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
wow this one really came out of the archives.......

congrats to the new guy for using the SEARCH feature....

cant help you tho....I've put ones that were modified for 11M back to stock but it is a HUGE pain in the ass and I wouldnt want to do it on someone elses radio "just in case"

you know the TS-520 is SSB only with NO AM correct?

The 520 and the 520s are wonderful talking and receiving rigs, and I'm sure you're interested in "freeband" SSB operation. I had one years ago that was modded for 11 meter operation, and it was nice at the time. But the mod is complicated due to location of installation and requires a knowledgeable person to do it, as the crystal must also be netted on frequency after install also. It's just not worth it to lose the 10 meter band on such a nice rig, and you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will do it. I would suggest picking up a Yaesu FT 101 line radio which simply requires plugging in a crystal to do it. Still sacrificing part of 10 meters, but easily reversable. Remember also, the 101's with the 11 meter position on the band switch may be just for receive only if the VFO mod has not already been done.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.