• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube radio help?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
Hello again, I am trying to modify an AM only tube radio ( a Philco 46-350 Reciever) to transmit, I found an article explaining how to convert a Tube radio to a transmitter and I just needed some clarification on what this means
"The input device (microphone, cd player, ect.) would go between the plate and the ground. "

Any Ideas?

T23

In the last 40 years the only person I ever saw convert a receiver into a transmitter was the professor on Gilligan"s Island. Strange for a guy that couldn't even patch a hole in a boat. Sure it is possible but the results are hardly worth the effort. Power output would be exceptionally low. Frequency stability would be poor and likely to drift while transmitting. Connecting the "input device" is more complicated then simply connecting it between the plate and ground. Some type of modulation transformer would be required. Not a project I would bother with.

In the last 40 years the only person I ever saw convert a receiver into a transmitter was the professor on Gilligan"s Island. Strange for a guy that couldn't even patch a hole in a boat. Sure it is possible but the results are hardly worth the effort. Power output would be exceptionally low. Frequency stability would be poor and likely to drift while transmitting. Connecting the "input device" is more complicated then simply connecting it between the plate and ground. Some type of modulation transformer would be required. Not a project I would bother with.

Agreed. I don't think I would want to connect anything directly between he plate and ground.At least nothing without a good fuse. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.