• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube Radio HUMMING no stations or static...

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I just got a tube radio in made by "Airline" it comes on but there are no stations and a loud hum, all tubes light.

Instead of a variable cap. it has a coil with a rod that slides in and out....odd....

Any ideas?

T23

This is an in-line filament radio, it gets power directly from power mains...

So basically I need to convert the older capacitor values to newer values and replace these paper-wax capacitors?

T23

So basically I need to convert the older capacitor values to newer values and replace these paper-wax capacitors?
T23

:blink:

Yes!

I got a Heathkit DX40, and powered it up like a moron without checking anything. After ~1 minute of me tuning it into a dummy load, the 6146 final decided to go out.

I went through it, and discovered quite a few of the caps were well out of tolerance. Two of the main power supply caps were bouncing in the range of 300v - 500v, even though they're supposed to be 400v caps.

I replaced them with modern electrolytics, and now they're both solid at ~402v. She purrs beautifully on CW, although I still need to do some work on the MIC side of the circuit. :)

It's safe to say, if there's a paper capacitor in there, it probably needs to be replaced. Wire-wound resistors MAY be finicky too, but that's far less likely. Also check for bad solder joints.

You can go two ways

1.) Damn authenticity, and just solder in a modern equivalent

2.) De-core the paper capacitor, and put your modern caps inside it. Then reassemble the paper cap, and it looks original.

Good luck with your project. :laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated