1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Tube Radio HUMMING no stations or static...

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by T23, Nov 9, 2010.

1. T23

T23 Active Member

I just got a tube radio in made by "Airline" it comes on but there are no stations and a loud hum, all tubes light.

Instead of a variable cap. it has a coil with a rod that slides in and out....odd....

Any ideas?

T23

2. office888

office888 Active Member

Bad electrolytic caps is common.

3. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Agreed. Sounds like the filter capacitors in the power supply section are bad.

4. T23

T23 Active Member

This is an in-line filament radio, it gets power directly from power mains...

So basically I need to convert the older capacitor values to newer values and replace these paper-wax capacitors?

T23

5. office888

office888 Active Member

:blink:

Yes!

I got a Heathkit DX40, and powered it up like a moron without checking anything. After ~1 minute of me tuning it into a dummy load, the 6146 final decided to go out.

I went through it, and discovered quite a few of the caps were well out of tolerance. Two of the main power supply caps were bouncing in the range of 300v - 500v, even though they're supposed to be 400v caps.

I replaced them with modern electrolytics, and now they're both solid at ~402v. She purrs beautifully on CW, although I still need to do some work on the MIC side of the circuit. :)

It's safe to say, if there's a paper capacitor in there, it probably needs to be replaced. Wire-wound resistors MAY be finicky too, but that's far less likely. Also check for bad solder joints.

You can go two ways

1.) Damn authenticity, and just solder in a modern equivalent

2.) De-core the paper capacitor, and put your modern caps inside it. Then reassemble the paper cap, and it looks original.

Good luck with your project. :laugh: