• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tune a dual band antenna

Joe

Does anyone have info on how to tune a dual band mobile mag mount antenna?

2M/70cm

Stock out of the bag I get 1:2 in the mid level of 2 meter and about 1:4 on the low and the high, but when I switch to 70cm I get around 1:4 and 1:5

I have the FT7800R and a friend of my dads gave me a MFJ's Power Gain MFJ 1729. I realize the antenna is not top of the line but it was a gift

Thanks

I have yet to see a dual band VHF/UHF mobile antenna that needed to be tuned.If you try to tune one band you WILL mess up the other one.The SWR figures you have are fine.Run it like it is.1.5 is no big deal.My 2m band is good and my 70cm band is a bit worse than yours and I have no problems whatsoever.Trust me I am not going to risk smoking my FT-857. ;)

QRN said:
I have yet to see a dual band VHF/UHF mobile antenna that needed to be tuned.If you try to tune one band you WILL mess up the other one.The SWR figures you have are fine.Run it like it is.1.5 is no big deal.My 2m band is good and my 70cm band is a bit worse than yours and I have no problems whatsoever.Trust me I am not going to risk smoking my FT-857. ;)

Thanks QRN

I was getting a little worried when I saw 70cm at just over 1:5/1:6

as far as 2 meter goes its 1:2 and 1:4 max

I figured it would be tough to tune a 2 band antenna LOL I guess you learn something new every day ;)

Unless you are running some really high power it is nothing to worry about.I run just 50w on 2m and 20w on 70cm and would not even think about trying to retune unless I was running well over 100 watts.You could try moving the antenna around a bit to see if that changes things any.

QRN said:
Unless you are running some really high power it is nothing to worry about.I run just 50w on 2m and 20w on 70cm and would not even think about trying to retune unless I was running well over 100 watts.You could try moving the antenna around a bit to see if that changes things any.

Thanks

Maybe its the antenna, its not the top of the line but it was free

I may look into the Larson NMO mag mount in the near future

I've done business with Bob a couple times and I must say that the honest part is right on.He sent me the parts to repair my tribander HF beam after a severe winter storm wrecked havoc with it and sent the bill along with the parts.He told me to send him the payment AFTER I received the parts.He just wanted to get me fixed up as fast as he could.Gotta respect a man that will do that.Also gotta make sure you use him as right as he uses you. ;) Bob is "good people".

Joe said:
Stock out of the bag I get 1:2 in the mid level of 2 meter and about 1:4 on the low and the high, but when I switch to 70cm I get around 1:4 and 1:5
Thanks

Honestly, thats great! I wouldnt putz with it in anyway shape or form.

Dont forget, dummy loads are 1:1 :LOL:

Joe,
Tuning a dual band antenna isn't difficult ~electrically!. Mechanically, it's a different story! Basically, it amounts to adjusting the length of the lowest frequency antenna, then adjusting the length of the higher frequency antenna. (That means adjusting above the coil for the higher band, below the coil for the lower band.) Alternate back and forth between the two till you get the best results.

I'm not sure I'm reading your numbers correctly. If you mean an SWR of something around 1.5:1 or less, leave it alone, nothing wrong with that at all. If you meant something like 2:1 or 7:1, then it does need some attention.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.