• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uk fm cb motorboating on high channels. Help please!

Damo666

Jan 10, 2009
Hi. I have an old Binatone uk fm cb that motorboats when i tx from channel 35 to 40 but not on the lower channels. It motorboats gradually worse as i go from 35 to 40, but doesn't do it when i turn the rf power down. In addition to this, it only motorboats for about 5 secs, the s meter fluctuates then it settles. Any ideas on what the fault could be please? Cheers.

Before your blame the radio, make sure your DC supply voltage is maintained during transmit, and your antenna VSWR is reasonable.

Before your blame the radio, make sure your DC supply voltage is maintained during transmit, and your antenna VSWR is reasonable.

Hi. I've tried the transceiver on a fully charged battery, a 40 amp regulated psu and a dummy load with the same results. These criteria can be discounted. Regards.

Sounds like it may be an issue with the VCO, if the radio has not been screw-drivered I would suspect component failure.

Sounds like it may be an issue with the VCO, if the radio has not been screw-drivered I would suspect component failure.

Hi Misterfatty. Somebody else on another forum suggested a "vco lock" problem. I also thought the vco could be at fault. However, the motorboating doesn't happen when i turn the rf output power down to 3 watts or lower. At 3.5 watts it motorboats for 5 secs or so then settles fine, but anything above about 4 watts results in continuous motorboating and the rf s meter flickering. Could it be some form of voltage regulation problem maybe? Cheers for the good input!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated