• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden grant xl

REVERSE POLARITY DIODE IS D-17,,IT IS A 1N4000 SERIES DIODE.
WILL BE LOCATED IN THE RIGHT REAR CORNER OF PCB,WITH
PARTS SIDE UP AND KNOBS TOWARD YOU.CHECK WITH YOUR
VOLT METER IF IT READS 0 OHMS.IT IS SHORTED.REPLACE WITH A
IN4004 OR 1N4003 DIODE.SOME WOULD SAY JUST CLIP IT OUT.
THIS WILL RESTORE POWER.BUT I SUGGEST IT SHOULD BE REPLACE.
BECAUSE IF YOU JUST CLIP OUT,AND IT GETS HOOKED UP REVERSED
AGAIN.ITS A GONNA DO SOME SERIOUSSS DAMNAGE.

can i change resister 114 for a 10k ohm for a better audio response

IM not sure what you mean here SD ? What's the problem ? That radio should have top notch audio both AM and SSB , not sure what you mean by audio response ? What exactly are you trying to do here ? :)

Change 114 to a 10K and C46 to a .2 monolithic. This widens up the TX repsonse on AM. You can just do 114 if you want. There's a bunch of other stuff you can do to really make the audio nice on these

yes, replacing R114 with a 10k resistor is a very cool mod for these radios.

this used to be on the old grant xl owners club board.
now defunct
LC

This is kind of what I meant , you can better this and better that all you want , but a simple tune up or down on those radios is all that's really needed. Nothing wrong with better , but there pretty darn good better radios to begin with unless somebody hacked the shit out of it. :glare: IM still trying to figure out just what the guys trying to do in the first place ?

Like loosecannon said , there's all kinds of "better" you can do to these radios , it's just that there already "better" to begin with. (y) {This widens up the TX repsonse on AM} Why for ? please explain ? You could change every freaking diode in the radio if it means that much to you.

Loosecannon ? That was a Great Site you mentioned , it was surely to bad to see it go . Truly a Uniden grant XL lovers site for sure....... I was one of them. Although a perfectionist IM not , especially when a radio was built good to go from the get go .....but as I said , nothing wrong with "better" on top of "better" I suppose. Just depends on how much "better" one just has to have it .

I only say all this because I've used variations of this radio for 20 years (my all time favorite cb AM/SSB radio) , 148/Grants/XLs , for both mobile and base , they always performed fantastic in the RX and TX department only ever having to be slightly tuned up or down (to run given amp) I honestly can't speak for the newer 148s ? but I've never heard to much good about those . There's nothing wrong with "bettering" something that is already "better" if that's what you feel the need to do or pay somebody else to do for you. Here's a link to the old GrantXL Owners Site , with all the mods and then some if need be. Have fun ........http://www.geocities.com/cobra269/files.html?200817

Last edited:
{This widens up the TX repsonse on AM} Why for ? please explain ?

Because some/most people like a richer sound on AM. The same reason most people replace a stock mic with a better one.

a richer sound on these ? OK (y) the 600 ohm stock mic's that always came with those sounded very good to my ear hole . (especially in the car would also help with back ground noise and always sounded good on SSB) If one were using the radio for a base , again , you want "richer" sound ? Put a Shure 526-T on it and sit back and relax a arm distants away from it . It would surely sound "richer" . I could speak for some but never most. (you can ?) Been around to long and listened to many of those radios without a damned thing done to them over the course of 3 decades.(most guy's used D-104s on them)

IM not trying to argue your point of "better" here or what you believe , I don't doubt it , I just don't think a lot of the foo foo extra's on these are necessary for your average cb AM/SSB operators. I just can't see how you can say "most",at least not from my side of the world over the years.

I put a major mod list there , if one feels the need for "better" on a radio that is already "better" they can have at it. I would just like to say I've had at least a dozen of these radios over the years , and like my writting , I've hammered on them for hours in and hours out without any kind of extra mod's done to them , never once did I have a problem with any of them (y)

Was I lucky ? I truly doubt that. They were just well made radios from the get go. You said some people would like to sound richer , well how much richer is richer on a radio with outstanding audio to begin with ? If I wanted superiour everything out of a radio as all these mod's are supposed to ad up to ? I'd buy a Ham radio . :)

hi switchkit,

the mb8719 dual conversion chassis is my all time favorite too.

this mod is not something you would be interested in.
i imagine most mods to these you are not interested in.LOL

cb is different things to different people. some care more than others what the person on the other end hears. there is no right or wrong here, just different.
(i know you already know this)

the R114 mod is about frequency response, for example, if the radios frequency response in stock form is, say, 200hz-10,000hz; then this mod would make it wider, like, say, 70hz-20,000hz. (those numbers are by no means meant to be accurate, just for example)

no matter what mic you hook up to the radio, it will only pass the frequencies in between these limits.
this mod widens those limits, allowing better mics to do their job.

i can tell you this, my voice no longer sounds "tinny" at all with my D104 silver eagle. not that it sounded bad before, but D104's are not known for their bass response. mine sounds nice and full.

SK, i would never mind buying radio from you, because i would know it hasnt been hacked up.LOL

take it easy,
LC

BTW, that is my friend jon's site you linked to. he is also a fan of this mod.

hi switchkit,

the mb8719 dual conversion chassis is my all time favorite too.

this mod is not something you would be interested in.
i imagine most mods to these you are not interested in.LOL

cb is different things to different people. some care more than others what the person on the other end hears. there is no right or wrong here, just different.
(i know you already know this)

the R114 mod is about frequency response, for example, if the radios frequency response in stock form is, say, 200hz-10,000hz; then this mod would make it wider, like, say, 70hz-20,000hz. (those numbers are by no means meant to be accurate, just for example)

no matter what mic you hook up to the radio, it will only pass the frequencies in between these limits.
this mod widens those limits, allowing better mics to do their job.

i can tell you this, my voice no longer sounds "tinny" at all with my D104 silver eagle. not that it sounded bad before, but D104's are not known for their bass response. mine sounds nice and full.

SK, i would never mind buying radio from you, because i would know it hasnt been hacked up.LOL

take it easy,
LC

BTW, that is my friend jon's site you linked to. he is also a fan of this mod.
Thank you for taking the time to explain . Nothing wrong with "better" on top of "better" Boy ! You talk about old school , tinny huh :) A nice golf sock or sock of your choice would always work nice too :) I personally liked the Shure 526-T as is on those radios. .......Your right , not so much the mod's other then extra channels / 10 khz jump / and open the RX/TX , the AM voltage regulator is a good call (if needed) I only ever had to change one on a Cobra 2000 years ago. (it wasn't mine) and a npc "type" mod for AM use with amp.

Is Jon the Grant XL guy ? Why in God's name did he shut his site down ? (if it's the Grant XL guy) and speaking of D-104s , never liked them on SSB on those radios unless they were non-powered or used the 10D heads on the powered versions. Thanks for explaining that to me , I honestly wasn't to sure what he meant . SK (I also think that "Hacked Up" can sometimes only be in the eye's of the beholders)

shure wish i could get my hands on a shure 526. nice mics.

no, jon is not the grant xl guy.
a member of my yahoo group had some of the files from the old site saved on his machine, and he uploaded what he had to our files section.
jon got it from there and put it on his site.
yes, very cool info there.

jon is living in sacramento now.
he's a pretty darn good tech, but hasnt gotten a shop together yet since his move.
i think you are further south than that right?
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated