1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Uniden PC76XL Question

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by jbo, Sep 28, 2005.

1. jbo

jbo Member

I just picked up a uniden pc76xl on ebay for $40. It was made in the phillippines and its in really good condition. Did I get a decent deal and how will this radio work after a peak and tune. I am going to get a wilson 500 to use with it and a road devil mic for it. Any suggestion or comments, i am a newbie and would like any suggestions to make the radio sound good and send and recieve a good distance. Mainly going to be used for off road and while traveling.

2. Switch Kit

Switch Kit Active Member

Welcome to the Forum JBO ....the 76XL is a fine AM only cb radio , a basic tune should get you around 5 to 20 watts pep with 100 % modulation ....The Wilson 500 will be a decent starter antenna for you but you might conceder spending another 20 bucks or so on the 1000 model , It's a much better antenna in the long run of it , maybe you might want to run some power later on and the 1000 would do you just fine upwards to 500 watts pep with the RG-58 it comes with and can also be changed for bigger coax in the future if need be ....just something to think about there. I'd say for 40.00 bucks on that 76XL you did very well. Switch Kit

3. Cheech

Cheech Active Member

One fine deal! I had one and it blew smoke! best audio I have heard in a radio and did 39 watts with the 1969 final.

4. cdurost

cdurost Member

i would like to up date my uniden 76XL where does the 1969 final go

5. KC2OST

KC2OST BANNED

Your signature says "LOTS OF MODS" on your radio.
    How do you know it doesn't have it already?

6. DTB Radio

DTB Radio Well-Known Member

Yes, you got a good deal, and your choices of mic and antenna should work well. Make sure your antenna is tuned correctly by someone with the proper knowlege and experience, though.

As for the 1969 final, you can go that route, oruse what I use, the newer ERF2030. You'll get roughly the same output levels, but the ERF tends to give louder results over-all. Click Here to view the details of the mod at CB Tricks.

7. cdurost

cdurost Member

i didn't put the mods in bought it this way i do know is a loud radio it has r beep and a echo board installed but i would belive the audio has been turned up. i'll have to get a meter to see what it is doing

8. nightwatch

nightwatch Member

So,..You're the guy that outbid me on that radio!!!!

Just Kidding!! :LOL:

9. BIONIC_TEXAN88

BIONIC_TEXAN88 Active Member

i say if it works and in good shape, you got a helluva deal. those are talkers!!

10. bushwacker

bushwacker Active Member

The Road Devil is a good mic.... but Superstar makes a LOUD echo power mic thats really inexpensive... Superstar DM452. Its more than likly at least 1/2 the price of the Astatic mic. You can also turn the echo all the way down like alot of guys do up here and its just as loud.

The Astatic mic is a good one.... alot of guys up here prefer the DM452 over a Road Devil or even D104 handheld. They are a loud power mic and they are cheap. Most guys will say that they are louder than a road devil or handheld d104.

Either way your whole setup is cool... either mic will sound good. Possibly you might want a noise cancelling mic. If thats the case stick with the road devil. But I know for a fact the DM452 will make that Uniden scream. It makes a BIG improvement..... but its not noise cancelling.
    Take care

11. Dio

Dio Member

:mellow: I have a pc76 with a wilson 1000 and it BLOWS SMOKE

12. Mwr4909

Mwr4909 New Member

What is D55 in a uniden pc 76xlw?

13. Mwr4909

Mwr4909 New Member

I just bought a uniden pc 76 xlw D55 is clipped is it the mod limiter?

14. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

i don't believe there is a D55 in this chassis.

it's the same on the inside as a 29LTD, although there will be some part value differences.

D11 would be the diode people might cut for AMC mods.

if you can take a pic that would really help.
    LC

15. sunbulls

sunbulls Well-Known Member

That high diode number doesn't exist in the standard 76. My best guess is D55 is somehow involved with your weather version. Are you able to receive any weather channels? Someone may have disabled the weather feature and used the switches for various other mods.

loosecannon likes this.