• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden pc78xl

AE5RD

Reformed CB'er
May 4, 2005
I have been to cb tricks.com, the defpom radiomodz, etc and i can't find a vr tuning chart for a uniden pc78xl. Anybody know where i can get that info?

A good tech can make that radio talk without cutting or clipping the limiter. Cutting D11 is a hack way of tuning that radio.

Reactions: Robb
Turning the VR for the AMC up all the way does the same thing.

A clipped radio needs no power mic, just an operator who knows how to operate the mic gain control.

Someone who has to have all the knobs full right needs to stay clear of a clipped radio.

It's been covered many times here on the forum so I won't beat a dead horse. If one wants loud blarring splattering audio then by all means, get out your golden set of plyers and yank that baby out. On the bright side, if you plan on running an amplifier then you can bleed into not only your next door neighbors tv and computer but 3-4 houses down as well. What the heck, might as well sound like crap and tick off all your neighbors.

So, a clipped radio with the mic gain set to the same modulation level as an unclipped radio with a power mic will sound bad?

It's all in the operator.

My clipped Grant XL is set to noon-1 O'clock. Sounds fine.

74IN said:
So, a clipped radio with the mic gain set to the same modulation level as an unclipped radio with a power mic will sound bad?

It's all in the operator.

My clipped Grant XL is set to noon-1 O'clock. Sounds fine.

Good question I would assume 100% mod is 100% no matter if limiter is clipped.

The problem is that with the limiter removed it becomes impossible to maintain modulation levels at a max of 100%.Speaking slightly louder then where the radio was set for 100% at WILL cause overmodulation and splatter.If you maintain lower audio levels to ensure a max of 100% modulation then why not leave the mod limiter in place. I used to run a Midland CB with the mod limiter removed and a.After a year or so I reinstalled the limiter transistor and got my loud but clean audio back instead of loud and distorted splattering signal.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
to clip or not

Well I gave the radio a tune and i'm happy to say I left all limiters intact. The modulation was loud just by turning the VR. the radio did 5 watts swinging to 8 on my old radioshack meter. The guy was real happy and he got good reports. I have heard some radios around here where i live that have been tweaked out and they sound like crap. I noticed if you try to get too much power out of a radio with the VR's that it will backswing. I tune till it swings forward and leave it alone. A few more watts won't make a diffrence anyway and 4 clean watts sound better especially if amplified.

Re: to clip or not

three eyed jack said:
Well I gave the radio a tune and i'm happy to say I left all limiters intact. The modulation was loud just by turning the VR. the radio did 5 watts swinging to 8 on my old radioshack meter. The guy was real happy and he got good reports. I have heard some radios around here where i live that have been tweaked out and they sound like crap. I noticed if you try to get too much power out of a radio with the VR's that it will backswing. I tune till it swings forward and leave it alone. A few more watts won't make a diffrence anyway and 4 clean watts sound better especially if amplified.

2 thumbs up!!

This was copied and pasted from an old post of mine:

If you like a radio thats been clipped, thats fine. Many of us would rather have our radios TUNED rather than chopped.
I've worked for a couple of the chop-shop type places, and I know most if not all of the little tricks that can be used to make some meter's needle move a bit further. Some are ok, but most comprimise both the audio and RF signal quality, many in the extreme. They don't yield any more power in the signal that you want. They just cause harmonic distortion in the audio signal due to clipping, plus harmonics and other out-of-band signals in the RF output for the same general reasons.

Most of the bleedover you hear comes from chopped radios, mainly due to the heavy harmonics in their audio. Those harmonics in the audio generate a much wider sideband signal, and that extra sideband content is way out of the 6-10khz channel boundary, which means someone else on an adjacent (or not-so-adjacent) channel has to put up with your crappy radio. If you run that extra sideband signal through an amp, well, you probably get the idea.

In case you're not aware of it, an AM signal consists of a carrier, and 2 other frequency components (sidebands), which consist of the sum (upper sideband) and difference (lower sideband) of the carrier and the modulation frequency. Most CB's don't employ much audio filtering to begin with, and the audio needs to be kept inside a range of roughly 100hz to 3khz to maintain channel integrity.

Audio harmonics are frequency components that are 2 times, 3 times, 4 times, etc the frequency of the main mic audio frequencies. In a clipped radio, due to the clipping (squaring-off) of the audio signal, most of the harmonics generated are odd harmonics. A square wave contains the fundamental frequency, plus alot of odd-numbered harmonics (3 times, 5 times, etc). A clipped radio's mic audio will contain MANY of those odd harmonics.

Imagine applying an audio signal that contains a 17th-order harmonic (present in any clipped radio) at fairly high level to the channel 19 carrier of a CB. 27,185,000 hz (ch 19 carrier freq), plus a frequency equalling 3khz (the highest audio freq that should be present) times 17 (51khz). That CB signal now occupies over 100khz of bandwidth, instead of the roughly 6khz it SHOULD occupy. Now you're bleeding over across at least 5 channels in each direction and generally more due to other types of RF distortion caused by a clipped audio signal. A 17th-order harmonic is generally not the highest harmonic generated, either. Taking the same idea, imagine now applying a 35th-order harmonic. That yields a signal bandwidth of about 210khz, about half the CB band. And clipped radios go even higher in harmonic content.

Why would you want a radio that generates useless signals on other channels, and thereby wastes alot of power in those signals? Why not set your radio up to concentrate its power in the signals you DO want? You'll have higher over-all power, not to mention modulation, in the channel you DO want, IF the radio is properly tuned.

You can also visit http://www.dtbradio.com/amc.html for a bit more discussion of this issue.

sometimes I think if it was a perfect world it would be quit boring to say the least . I could just think of a few major amp builders and radio makers that would totally be out to bizz if it were ....but because it isn't a perfect world ,there still in business and going strong. It's almost as if man speak with forked tongue in this business . Go figure ? Is it really about the perfectness of it all or is it about those mighty greenbacks .....Hmmmmm Harmonic this and harmonic that , wonder how many really give a ratts ass about that ? Auh yes , the perfectionists of this world , but even then there's that dreaded forked tongue again and those never ending bills in the mail box or desk drawer waiting to be paid. Well Butch .....I'll agree with you and say that about covers it , But how much does it cover to those that could really care less ? I say this , and it's been going on for decades and decades to come , have fun !! try stuff !! do different things and see how they work out for you. everything that is done to these cb radios is a crime to begin with , so harmonic or not. Have fun and let the other guy on the other end of your transmission be the judge and jury on what's really going on. I just can't help myself from time to time when it comes to fighting the perfectness of the situation. 4040 did a watergate on me a few weeks ago and posted it on the DX contact section of the Forum , Cobra 25 LTD 2 watt swingin 25 cap/resistor mod (no clip) it still don't matter because it's evil in the eye's and minds of the perfectionists. Anyone here can go there and listen to the gate and tell me I sounded like shit or modualated or over driven ? I didn't here anybody telling me about harmonics or that I was bleeding and bothering others , IM not trying to pat myself on the back here , IM just trying to make a point that these radios do not have to be a perfect science to work and to work well same goes for the amp builders and radio designers. My God !! I can only hope for all of you that no matter what , it's all about having fun no matter what your running or doing. Peace

Reactions: juicey

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.