• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Used Yaesu FT-747 GX Radio

BubbaDX

Jul 4, 2009
www.venemousduckracing.com
I found a used FT-747 radio for sale with an antennae for $350. Does that sound like a fair deal? I know it is an old radio, but I am just getting into ham radio and thought it might be a good beginner radio. What can I check for when I get to see it. It is unplugged so I doubt I get to see it work.

Would this be a good first radio?

...It is unplugged so I doubt I get to see it work...

Personally, if the seller can't demonstrate (or guarantee) that the radio is 100% functional I'd walk away from it - unless of course the antenna by itself was worth the asking price. Parts for those radios are difficult to find if it needs repair...

Reactions: 1 person
Here is a picture of the transceiver and antennae. Can anyone tell me anything from the picture? I think it's a dipole antennae. Would I need anything else besides a power supply and maybe some new cable?

ft-747gx.jpg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case it is speechless. Some close-up pics to show the physical condition would be (to me) mandatory, but it still wouldn't tell you if the radio is 100% functional or not. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but unless I could see the radio in operation first hand or had some type of guarantee that it worked I'd pass on it...but that's just me...

Youre not raining on my parade, I am right there with you. I got an email back from the seller and he is willing to plug it into a battery so I can see it power up. But he has no antenna to plug it into so we will not be able to transmit, and I assume we will not receive much if anything. So I am not sure what I will do. I will probably go look at it Friday or this weekend. Any advice of what I can look for? Anyone?

There's just no substitute for a full work out. Just seeing it turn on and power up isn't good enough. Needs to be talked on with over-the-air radio checks. Ask seller if you can return it if has problems.

Alright, looks like we are doing a full test. The seller is being very cooperative. I need to pick up an "antenna feeder cable" with PL-259 ends to connect the antenna to the radio. Any suggestions on what to get? Any brand I should avoid or look for? Anyone on here sell cable that can get it to me pretty quick? It's looking good so far, I may have my first radio soon. Now back to my practice test so I can get my license.

Edit - Is RG-8X cable what I need?

Last edited:
I saw that radio on display once at AES for 400 bucks brand new. The antenna will have almost no value. So haggle acordingly.
Rich

be careful buying one of these, they are prone to dry solder joints especially in the crystal filter board causing temporary loss of output power and recieve

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate an honest opinion. The seller has offered to demo the radio for me and show me it works, but I still have not been able to see it. Our schedules do not match very well.

I also found an Yaesu 757GX for sale locally with the power supply. And the seller wants about the same price. Would that be a better radio than the 747GX? With this one I would have to either make an antenna or purchase one.

FIRST OFF be extremely carefull as to checking that radio out take extra caution or note when using the VFO knob on testing it. They had huge problem with the rotary encoder switch in those VFO in the 747 radios.

The encoder is made or manufactured by a company named ALPS and are getting hard to obtain. I have been through this disater so trust me its a pain in the @$$. The VFO gets jumpy to where you can nudge your desk or table or just be transmitting and the frequency jumps around which gets annoying.

I had replaced the encoder in mine and that was in the mid 1990s but the part took forever to get I had seen that encoder sell somewhere this past year and almost bought it because someone will always need one and it was a fair price so I should have jumped on it but when I remebered it was to late. I do have some parts for those yaesu ft- 747 and yaesu ft-840 lightbulbs which were goofy voltages ETC.

All in all just becareful and take note that there are some places that wont even repair these older radios anymore Burghardt Amateur however is your best bet for older radio repairs. Good luck and happy DXing.....Tony

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated