• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Video - How to work amateur radio satellites with your handheld (HT) radio

That was a great video. I have been aware of making contacts this way, but it was cool to see what all goes into it.(y)

Wow - that was really interesting to a newbie like me. Great job - easy to understand and fun to watch.

I'm waiting for my first radio to arrive today via UPS and hope to take my test in November.

Thanks for taking the time to show that.

- Mike

Ha! Awesome. I'm going to try that out. Great vid too, very well put together and you present yourself well.

Mole can you post a frequency file of the sats you have in the sticky thread for the 8R?

Oh man, that video was awesome! I've definitely got to get that antenna and try it. Now is something like this limited to a dual tuner radio like the VX-8 or can it be done with my VX-6 which is only a single tuner?

You don't need a dual VFO radio; in fact it's easier if you just use an odd split on one VFO.

You don't need a dual VFO radio; in fact it's easier if you just use an odd split on one VFO.

Nice to hear. I did also buy W1MED's VX-7 (in the SwapShop) so I'll have a choice on using either a single or dual VFO HT. I also plan on making a dual band Yagi, much like the Arrow antenna you used. I figure it will be cheaper and I'll have the satisfaction of making my own antenna.

Nice to hear. I did also buy W1MED's VX-7 (in the SwapShop) so I'll have a choice on using either a single or dual VFO HT. I also plan on making a dual band Yagi, much like the Arrow antenna you used. I figure it will be cheaper and I'll have the satisfaction of making my own antenna.

Making your own is really easy, especially if you're not concerned about having the ability to break it down for storage. Take a look in the Home Brew section where I posted info on how to home brew your own.

Here's a newbie question. I did search, but couldn't find the answer, so I'll ask here.

Do you have to use a duplexer? couldn't I just use a BNC "T" on my HT, and feed both cables into it that way?

If this has been discussed before, I apologize for duplicating the post. I also apologize in advance, for slightly hijacking the thread. It does pertain to the subject matter, to an extant.

I am not "soldering inclined" like I would like to be, so I would just end up making a mess of things making my own duplexer. Purchasing one, is out of the question at the moment (unemployed).

To me, it just seems like the duplexer's only purpose, is to take 2 feeds, and convert them into one, for the radio.

Any information in regards to my question, would be greatly appreciated

Brian (KG6EAK, DM37ie)

Here's a newbie question. I did search, but couldn't find the answer, so I'll ask here.

Do you have to use a duplexer? couldn't I just use a BNC "T" on my HT, and feed both cables into it that way?

If this has been discussed before, I apologize for duplicating the post. I also apologize in advance, for slightly hijacking the thread. It does pertain to the subject matter, to an extant.

I am not "soldering inclined" like I would like to be, so I would just end up making a mess of things making my own duplexer. Purchasing one, is out of the question at the moment (unemployed).

To me, it just seems like the duplexer's only purpose, is to take 2 feeds, and convert them into one, for the radio.

Any information in regards to my question, would be greatly appreciated

Brian (KG6EAK, DM37ie)

A duplexer is a little bit more complex than just a T, it has capacitors and inductors involved to make sure your transmissions make it to the correct part of the antennas, and I dont know what the SWR would be if you used a T on an arrowII antenna. I am fairly sure that I could not have made my own duplexer for much cheaper than they are sold for on the arrow antenna site.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.