• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8GR out of band mod and mystery switch.

Brlux

Jan 20, 2010
I just got a VX-8GR and thought I would post a picture of what you will find when you pull the sticker off the hole in the battery bay.

DSCF6246small.jpg

The little black zero ohm resistor on the right is to be removed to perform the out of band mod. Once you remove it your radio will reset the next time you power it up so back up your memory.

I use the FTBVX8G software. Pre mod mine showed up as a USA2 after the mod it showed up as a USA3.

As can be seen on the left there is a small switch which I am calling the "mystery switch". I played with it before and after doing the out of band mod and noticed no difference. It came switched to the right. When I switch it to the left the radio does nothing. It will not power up or recognize that the power cord is plugged in. With the battery removed if I switch it to the right, plug in the power supply, power on the radio and then switch it the radio will be on but frozen. No buttons will respond and it will not tx/rx. Sometimes it would reset it's self after a few seconds to minutes and be operational with the switch to the left, I did not notice any change in operation other than when the power cord is removed and then reinserted or the battery is installed it will no longer power up or do anything. If I remove all power switch it back to the right (default setting) and re apply power then it seems to be back to normal.

Any ideas what it may be used for? My thoughts are perhaps putting it into mode for firmware upgrade over the serial port?

O good that is what I was hoping to hear. There is a lot to like about this radio and also a lot to hate which could almost all be fixed in firmware. I have a dream that one day they release a very useful user installed update.

I am going to start compiling my wish list, now how to bend the ear of someone at Yaesu who can actually make things like this happen?

My radio did come with a spare back cover sticker in the box. I mangled mine fairly bad when I pulled it off, It would not have been water resistant if I had tried to put the old one back on. This tells me that they did plan on users having to remove and replace this sticker. Perhaps this is a good sign for firmware updates.

is it possible to RX below 108 mhz? I have VX-8GR, I'm wondering if there's a mod to do that if it's not blocked in hardware. thanks.

Hi all!

Since 2 days I'm a proud owner of the VX-8G handheld and I really like it so far. I saw this topic and decided to register on this forum because I think Yaesu should really provide a firmware update (Dear Yaesu: I'd even PAY for it!!!!).

This would be my wishlist to make it the ultimate portable for me:

1. Change the STATION LIST view to show the distance to APRS stations instead of the time/date in the last column or at least make that configurable.

2. Shortcuts to disable/enable GPS and the APRS modem

3. Possibility to create APRS objects (or is that already possible?)
---

Regarding the "mystery switch":
Has someone already tried to see if something happens on the serial (DATA) port of the VX-8G if you set the switch to the left? Maybe, it'd be possible to analyze what the firmware upgrade tool for the FTM-350 is doing on the serial link to initiate the upgrade? It'd be awesome to be able to get a dump of the VX-8G firmware...

Hello again :)

I just checked the circuit diagram and found the switch! It's called S1005 and you can find it on the RF Unit diagram (page 19, at the bottom, on the left of the connector).

There's a small table above it:
Code:
------------------------
|      | BOOT  | WRITE |
|MD2   |----------------   
|      | Vcc    | GND  |
------------------------

So by default it's on "BOOT". I hope so much that we can use this to upgrade the VX-8G one day! I'm very sure that by releasing firmware upgrades Yaesu could boost their VX-8G sales big time :)

Cheers & 73,

Thomas PD0T

I have the Japanese version of this radio (the "VX-8G") and although it has not been modded and the TX is still restricted, there is no resistor on the pads under the sticker - the pads are not connected at all.

Does anyone know how the Japanese model differs and whether it is possible to mod it?

I have the Japanese version of this radio (the "VX-8G") and although it has not been modded and the TX is still restricted, there is no resistor on the pads under the sticker - the pads are not connected at all.

Does anyone know how the Japanese model differs and whether it is possible to mod it?
I've find something like this:

enter code in menu 16: AH041M and accept that (like entereing allignment menu)

then power off unit

power on it with HM/RV + MENU key

than enter *** from dial menu and accept with F/W key.

That should unlock all avaliabe bands.

PS Sorry for my english.

Reactions: Biovirus
Dear pAramedica -

Do you know if this mod can be done in USA version?
What bands were already open on Japanese version?
What bands opened by your wondrful mod?

arigato godzaimas-

I've find something like this:

enter code in menu 16: AH041M and accept that (like entereing allignment menu)

then power off unit

power on it with HM/RV + MENU key

than enter *** from dial menu and accept with F/W key.

That should unlock all avaliabe bands.

PS Sorry for my english.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated