• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8r Bug?

C2

Aug 3, 2005
One bug that I cannot duplicate is when just listening to the broadcast band (radio) and switching from FM to AM band, the knob would not tune the frequency.

Second bug:

Radio Setup:
APRS mode enabled (A12 blinking)
WX Alerts turned ON
Dual Recieve with A-Band scanning VFO (6) and the display set to show the frequencies.

As I was watching the 220MHz scan, the radio automatically switched to the MR weather memory (1). There was no audio, but the WX station was received full strength. From this state, I pressed the UP ^ scan button and the audio came on. It was then possible to use the dial to scroll through the 10 weather memories, but that is all. I tried to change the volume, but the volume showed 10 and would not change. Pressing A-Band or B-Band, or the MENU buttons had no effect. I was effectively locked in this state. I also noticed that the display would flicker on irregular intervals, sometimes the WX freq would flicker, sometimes both frequencies would flicker. I do not think I was receiving an actual weather alert, so I'm not sure why the radio switched to the WX stations.

I powered off the unit off and was able to get into the menu to disable the WX alerts. I tried the same setup again and the behavior was repeated. I also found out that I can get out of this situation by pressing F/W 9 to exit the WX stations. When not scanning, the radio does not switch to the WX stations, just when the scan is enabled.

Last edited:

Mine's broke!

While in single band just picking up APRS traffic, I decided to turn on the Spectrum Analyzer and find a repeater. After engaging the SPA:

the keys Menu, F/W, Moni, Band...actually, none of the keys do anything anymore, and there is no audio on strong stations.

I can use the dial and scroll through the frequencies and cycle the Menu key through the APRS screens, but I cannot scroll the station list and cannot enter any of the setup menus.

Wonder if this is indicitive of the radio and current firmware or if mine is just a lemon?

I haven't been able to replicate any of those problems. Of course, I don't have any weather alerts coming through, either. But I do have WX reports on channel 1.

I do note that some functions are disabled while using the Spectrum Analyzer, but I don't seem to have the problem you're having. Maybe you should take yours and exchange it?

That's actually good news as it means, you got a good one, but more so that it's not a problem with the design.

Mine recovered after doing a reset, so it just needs to be put it through its paces for a while.

I have an issue that may or may not be a bug. I can transmit on 6m with it plugged into the stock changer, but anything on 2m or above, it power cycles the radio. Is that by design? I unplug it and it can transmit freely on any band.

It is probably trying to use the charger as the power source, which does not put out enough power.

Try setting the power down to 1/2W or less and try it. I think mine would work on lowest and maybe 1/2W.

Is your 6m set to AM mode? I think it puts out less power in AM mode there.

I have an issue that may or may not be a bug. I can transmit on 6m with it plugged into the stock changer, but anything on 2m or above, it power cycles the radio. Is that by design? I unplug it and it can transmit freely on any band.

That's not a bug, the supplied adapter is meant for charging and does not supply enough power to transmit, at least not on full power.

One bug that I cannot duplicate is when just listening to the broadcast band (radio) and switching from FM to AM band, the know would not tune the frequency.

Second bug:

Radio Setup:
WX Alerts turned ON
Dual Recieve with A-Band scanning VFO (6) and the display set to show the frequencies.

As I was watching the 220MHz scan, the radio automatically switched to the MR weather memory (1). There was no audio, but the WX station was received full strength. From this state, I pressed the UP ^ scan button and the audio came on. It was then possible to use the dial to scroll through the 10 weather memories, but that is all. I tried to change the volume, but the volume showed 10 and would not change. Pressing A-Band or B-Band, or the MENU buttons had no effect. I was effectively locked in this state. I also noticed that the display would flicker on irregular intervals, sometimes the WX freq would flicker, sometimes both frequencies would flicker. I do not think I was receiving an actual weather alert, so I'm not sure why the radio switched to the WX stations.

I powered off the unit off and was able to get into the menu to disable the WX alerts. I tried the same setup again and the behavior was repeated. I also found out that I can get out of this situation by pressing F/W 9 to exit the WX stations. When not scanning, the radio does not switch to the WX stations, just when the scan is enabled.

I have the same problem while scanning. It goes through the weather channels for some reason and then gets stouck on what ever it can pickup, then scans for about 4 seconds on 220 and does it again. I found if I turn off weather alerts memory #111 (I think) the problem goes away. Is your weather alert turned on?

My weather alert was turned ON. If I turned it off, I did not have this problem.

Second bug:

Radio Setup:
WX Alerts turned ON

As I was watching the 220MHz scan, the radio automatically switched to the MR weather memory (1). There was no audio, but the WX station was received full strength. From this state, I pressed the UP ^ scan button and the audio came on. It was then possible to use the dial to scroll through the 10 weather memories, but that is all. I tried to change the volume, but the volume showed 10 and would not change.

I don' think this is a bug. My VX-6R behaves in a similar manner. With WX Alert ON, you will not hear any weather broadcast unless their is an alert being broadcasted. The NIFTY mini manual explain this feature really well: "leaves the receiver muted until an Alert Tone is detected".

Also, anytime the WX Alert feature is ON, the weather channels are included with any scan, but will be silent.... kind of makes sense doesn't it?

The point was, if I enable WX alerts, I cannot scan another band period!

It always jumped to the WX channels no matter what, and then I was locked into the WX channels and could not get out. It only scanned WX channels if a channel was not received, it went to the next WX channel, but then it stayed on that channel indefinately. If I tried to scroll through the channels, it just wrapped around the WX bank.

Mine ended up having other problems with totally locking up, and this may have been a problem with the radio and not a design flaw. I don't, but will find out when I regain a VX-8R.

freeze-up and weather

Mine was doing this too, so i reset the unit.

It's happened twice but I'm so confussed I don't remember how I got there both times.

I'm enjoying the reset though!

Yesterday we had a weather event. My radio shack all-hazards went off but my vx8r did not. I double checked and the receive alert was on but nothing happened.

I need to reread the instructions but I was under the impression that all-hazard alerts would be received regardles of the tuner.

Marc

Second bug:

Radio Setup:
APRS mode enabled (A12 blinking)...

Well, I've got this A12 blinking annunciator when I turn
on the APRS modem (at 1200bps...at 9600 the A96 annunciator
turns on and blinks). I assume that this is normal, though I don't
know why the indicator should blink rather than just stay on
continuously. The manual says nothing about this. Should I be
concerned? :(

The blinking "A12" means that your APRS modem is turned on at 1200bps. If you go into the APRS Modem setting and turn it off, the indicator will go away. If you change it to 9600bps, it will start blinking "A96" on the main screen.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?