1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

VX-8r Replacement Antenna

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by w3CUM, Feb 9, 2009.

1. w3CUM

w3CUM BANNED

So I have spent all weekend goofing around with the radio and I like
    it... A Lot.. but I have been playing around wih the Stock Duck vrs a
    MFJ1717s (a 144/440MHz whip) I have stayed on those bands and I have had 100% better luck hitting repeters in my local area. With the stock Duck I
    have a hard time hitting the 147.300 here in Northern Virginia and I am barely hitting any APRS Stations. So my question is this...

Is there somethign wrong with the duck that came with the radio... (I
    dont think so but I thought I would be getting out better than I am)

and...

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Multi Band Replacment Antenna?
    Has anyone replaced their stock duck with anything?

Thanks in advance...

Chris
    W3CUM

2. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

I haven't found a replacement quad band antenna yet (6m, 2m, 220, 440), but the Comet SBB-224 is 2m, 220, 440. I used that antenna on my Kenwood TH-F6a, and it's a great little antenna. I played with it on the VX-8r and would have like to keep it, but since I broke the stock kenwood antenna, I had to sell it with the TH-F6a. I did quite a bit of testing on the VX-8 with it and it pretty much out performed the stock duckie by an S-Unit or more on 220 and 440.

3. N0VYO

N0VYO Member

I've had good luck on Simplex with the Diamond SRH-999...supposed to be 6db gain over stock...

4. C2

C2 Sr. Member

From that post above:

Code:
    http://www.luogankongyaji.com/
    http://www.kongyajiyou.com/