• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Warning to freebanders

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
Subject: Warning Notice--Unlicensed Radio Operation

Dear Mr. Horne:

Information before the Commission indicates that you have been operating radio equipment without a license on 27.465, 27.555, 27.575, 27.585, 27.615 and 27.895 MHz. Those transmissions are causing interference to licensed stations in the 10-meter amateur band.

Please be advised that operation of radio transmitting equipment without a license is a violation of Section 301 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. Section 301, and will subject you to fine or imprisonment, as well as an in rem seizure of any non-certified radio transmitting equipment, in cooperation with the United States Attorney for your jurisdiction. Monetary forfeitures normally range from $7,500 to $10,000.

You are requested to contact me at 717-338-2502 to discuss this matter.

cc: FCC South Central Regional Director

I was just posting a warning to those freebanding that the freebanding area is being listened to. Especialy those, as you say, causing interference. If someone freebands it's their business. I've been there and know what draws many there.
My guess is this guy had a Ham or 2 in his area that pinpointed the location of the disturbance.

So how ya doin' Mark ? I'll have to give you a call sometime when my work eases a little. :D

No grief here.
I would like to know who turned him in?
Amateur Rado Operators no Doubt. But to each his own.
I doubt he was causing anyone any problems unless he runs a very dirty and sloppy radio Than good riddance. People have been running those freq's for decades.
Yes let the ham vs everyone else in radio wars continue. They should concern themselves with their own kind :shock: before Policing out of their bands. And who authorised them to police the so called free bands anyway? They have no authority their.
They have no more rights in the free bands than anyone else.

todt061458 said:
No grief here.
I doubt he was causing anyone any problems unless he runs a very dirty and sloppy radio Than good riddance. People have been running those freq's for decades.
Yes let the ham vs everyone else in radio wars continue. They should concern themselves with their own kind :shock: before Policing out of their bands. And who authorised them to police the so called free bands anyway? They have no authority their.

You are pretty close in your guess, I caught wind of this one a while ago and just been sitting on it to see what happened. There are 5 0r 6 recent converts to Hamdom in the area where this guy lives that are trying to be jerks. There is a lot to this story but I want get into it other than this fellow is knocking on 90 and had very little else he could do other than play with his radio.

Sonwatcher said:
My guess is that when he got up to 27.895 his dirty signal blasted up in the 10 meter band. Just my guess.

I hear CBers splattering up in 10--really! I sometimes follow them down the band and find their fundamental somewhere in the "freeband". It's the splattering amps that do it! Really doubt that hams are turning in CBers-unless they, like the citation says, are splattering up into 10 Meters. :)

CWM

CW Please do not take offense at what I am About to say. It is not directed at you in a personal way. But Get a clue! Some in the ham kingdom are just jerks. They will play radio cop and screw anyone and every one they can who are not hams and sometimes hams also. I have been a ham as I have told you before since the 1960's and these types of hams young and old have always been around.As in the general public their are always jerks who would turn in their own mother if it gave them 1 second of fame with the authorities. I guess that is why so many die in wars like in germany (WW2)one nosey neighbor turns in a neighbor for the good of the ruling party. :x
So on and on it goes. But when the perfect people screw up and are cited and fined listen to them SCREAM. No you can't do that to me I am special I am your snitch ,your informant How (stutter) How can you do this to ME! What goes adound comes around and it will always bit them in the BUTT. Because they make themself's ( the informant)a target. snitches are just useless people! Just a personal opinion. :LOL:
And CW I am not outing you in this Rant .Your crusade at least has a point to be made. but the above person is 90 years old and most likely lonely and just trying to talk. The young newly licensed hams should just leave him alone. He won't even be alive in a couple years. How sad for him to be outed like this.

27.895 is very close to 10 meters, so running any kind of power up there is bound to cause something in the sense of interference, just common sense, run 10 grand on the freeband and you will cause troulbe, i have alot of hams near me, some as close as 1 mile, but i keep the power to 150 watts and under, rarely go higher than 27.475, i monitor ham freqs alot just listen to the operators no compliants about my station at all.... it's a never ending battle, you will never keep cber's confined to the regular 40, it just aint gonna happen.....

jonbah said:
Just someone playing Ham police, probably not well liked.
Hams are self policing... at least that's the intent. ;) Policing their own bands is totally legitimate. Splattering into their band makes you a legitimate target. The simple answer to avoiding the "Ham Police", stay out of their band with any of your emissions. Just common sense and good radio art. 73

todt061458 said:
No grief here.
I wasn't going to say any thing but what the hell. It is our business when someone is causing interference in the band. If half the stupid people would educate them selfs on how to operate a radio then interference wouldn't be an issue. I am not against anyone that wants to operate a radio free band or ham but when you have all your knobs cranked to the right this is what happens, And further more we are authorized to find out where the interference is coming from regardless of frequency.SHEEESH "and who authorized them" LOL

RT675 said:
todt061458 said:
No grief here.
I wasn't going to say any thing but what the hell. It is our business when someone is causing interference in the band. If half the stupid people would educate them selfs on how to operate a radio then interference wouldn't be an issue. I am not against anyone that wants to operate a radio free band or ham but when you have all your knobs cranked to the right this is what happens, And further more we are authorized to find out where the interference is coming from regardless of frequency.SHEEESH "and who authorized them" LOL

A year or so back, we had a local 11M op whose 25w rig put out a spur on 28.020 when the fundamental was on 27.165. The spur was ~20dB down from the fundamental and was quite noticeable.

This condition resulted from an improperly-tuned mixer/IF/RF chain in the transmitter section of his rig.

Who did the 'tuning' is unknown, but my suspicions are that one of the local golden-screwdriver experts had a hand in it.

The offending set has since gone away - either sold or shelved. If it happens to reappear and causes the same problem I'll be writing a few letters.

Contrast this with a couple of groups in the area who operate 'freeband'; one on 27.440 and the other on 27.805. Neither one bothers me in the least, even when they've got their power levels up.

As has been commented on previously: Learn how to set up and operate your gear correctly...odds are that no one will nail you for adjacent-frequency splatter - regardless if you're operating on the 'regular 40' or elsewheres.

Contrary to popular belief, running an RF PA (be it internal or external) in Class C operation is not going to win you many friends. It WILL, however, win you an NAL when someone whom you're interfering with takes exception to the fact.

You can get away with this when using such an amp on CW...FM...or as part of a high-level amplitude modulation arrangement (which uses a modulation transformer to vary the Class C amp's plate or collector input). You cannot get away with it when running such a device as part of a low-level AM or SSB signal chain that requires each stage to be operated in a linear amplification mode. 'Linear' it's not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated