• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Weird Stryker Problem and a Lighting Strike

DTB Radio

Sep 14, 2005
Carlisle, PA. USA
www.dtbradio.com
Last night, there wre several severe thunder storm cells that moved through my area. The building in which my shop is located took a nearly direct lightning strike. I lost 2 computers, all networking equipment on 2 seperate floors, and my main antenna was basically disintegrated. After replacing the antenna, I find that my Stryker's receive volume drops if I turn the variuable power knob up past a certain point. I haven't taken time to troubleshoot that yet, but once I find out what happened there, I'll update this thread.

DTB Radio said:
The building in which my shop is located took a nearly direct lightning strike.... and my main antenna was basically disintegrated.

:shock: Nearly direct strike? Main antenna basically disintegrated? That dosen't sound like a "nearby strike",that sounds like a direct hit to me.You're lucky actually considering what could have happened.Good luck repairing/replacing things.I find that with a lightning strike it can take a week after the initial strike to find out all that was affected.

It was an A99. I had an Imax 2000 up at the house, so I just took it down and stuck it up at the shop. I added a bunch of those snap-on RF chokes to cut down the coax radiation, and signal reports from one station I regularly talk to have jumped from between 6 and 9 (what I had wth the old A99) to 20+. Blessing in disguise, I guess.

DTB Radio said:
Last night, there wre several severe thunder storm cells that moved through my area. The building in which my shop is located took a nearly direct lightning strike.

Wow thats scary, hopefully the overall damage to your shop will be minimal. Good Luck !

not trying trying to hijack your thread DTB but i have a question . arnt those magnetic RF chokes used on power lines and such to trap RF signals and prevent them from getting into the electronics down the line ? wouldnt they also trap the RF signal in a coax also reducing the ammount of signal making it to the antenna ? if the coax is radiating RF isnt that a sign of cheap , damaged or improperly assembled coax/conectors that should be replaced or fixed ?
i know im missunderstanding something .

glad to hear you didnt have major damage done .

BOOTY MONSTER said:
Arn't those magnetic RF chokes

No, they aren't magnetic, but they are RF chokes.

used on power lines and such to trap RF signals and prevent them from getting into the electronics down the line

In general that is correct

wouldnt they also trap the RF signal in a coax also reducing the ammount of signal making it to the antenna?

Not really, unless used in excess. If they are installed right at the feedpoint, they will block coax shield radiation in the rest of the feedline, reducing or eliminating interference in other electronics. By blocking shield radiation, you will also get less intereference from certain sources, and better over-all signal levels.

if the coax is radiating RF isnt that a sign of cheap , damaged or improperly assembled coax/conectors that should be replaced or fixed?

Not necessarily. Many antenna designs allow some coax shield radiation due to a number of reasons, including design shortcuts and other things. Thats why choke baluns are recommended for many antenna installations. the RF chokes clipped around the coax at the feedpoint does the same basic job, and in my case, it was not possible to do the coax coil balun without some serious reinstall work with the coax.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.