• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Well, I made a decision on my first transceiver

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
Well, right or wrong, I made a decision and ordered a Yaesu FT-7900R 2 Meter / 70 cm Dual Band FM Mobile Transceiver.

I talked to a local guy I know pretty well who is an old time ham. He thought a dual band 2 meter/ 70 cm would be a good choice for now.

So I ordered the radio from GigaParts. They had the best price I could find on the internet.

I'll probably use it most of the time at home instead of my truck. But I plan on also installing it in my truck occasionally as well.

I've got a 35 amp regulated power supply that I picked up at a yard sale a couple of years ago. I checked it with my volt meter and it puts out a tad over 13 volts. I figured I'd give that a try. And if that don't work, I'll order a better power supply.

Now for antenna recommendations. Due to the snow, frozen ground and extreme temperatures right now I'm not much in the mood to get up on top of my house or to climb my big oak tree and install an antenna.

So I thought for now I might get a J antenna from Arrow Antenna J-Poles and install it on a temporary 25' old fiberglass flagpole I have. After putting the antenna on top of the pole I can strap the antenna pole to a fence post.

Does that sound like a reasonable fix for a temporary antenna until spring?

John

So I thought for now I might get a J antenna from Arrow Antenna J-Poles and install it on a temporary 25' old fiberglass flagpole I have. After putting the antenna on top of the pole I can strap the antenna pole to a fence post.

Does that sound like a reasonable fix for a temporary antenna until spring?

John

It is a good choice but why don't you make the Arrow antenna yourself. It will cost about $20 for the material and about an hour to construct. Here is a link to the directions J Pole Antenna. It's a fun build. I made one a couple of months ago and it works great. It is good to start doing your own antennas now that you passed your test. It is a blast tinkering and when your done you have the satisfaction that you made it and it works. Enjoy.(y)

Sounds fine.
Just remember that VHF/UHF require high quality coax. At those freq's, db loss and leakage are an enemy to be reckoned with. Keep the length of the coax run to an absolute minimum if at all possible.

Sounds fine.
Just remember that VHF/UHF require high quality coax. At those freq's, db loss and leakage are an enemy to be reckoned with. Keep the length of the coax run to an absolute minimum if at all possible.

What cable do you recommend? I'll be running about 50 feet right now. And I think it will take about 75 feet when I install it on my roof. I haven't measured that yet for the exact distance.

LMR-400 for that length.
I use LMR-240; but my coax length is only 30 ft. You've got a fair distance/length to go for VHF/UHF. Be sure to do quality solder work on the coax connectors; it will make a difference.

LMR-400 for that length.
I use LMR-240; but my coax length is only 30 ft. You've got a fair distance/length to go for VHF/UHF. Be sure to do quality solder work on the coax connectors; it will make a difference.

OK, I'll check around for the best buy I can find. Is there any particular brand I should look for?

I'll probably buy one with the connectors already on it. And I'll install the factory end on the antenna.

Last edited:
OK, I'll check around for the best buy I can find. Is there any particular brand I should look for?

I'll probably buy one with the connectors already on it. And I'll install the factory end on the antenna.
Times-Microwave is the company that makes the best/original LMR. There are substitutes that may be cheaper; but be careful there . . .

Times-Microwave is the company that makes the best/original LMR. There are substitutes that may be cheaper; but be careful there . . .

OK, that's the brand I saw in a couple of places when I was doing a web search.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated