• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is a good transceiver for a person when they get their first license?

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
I'm thinking ahead so I can dream. :D

I think I'm coming along pretty good in the studying. I'm getting high 80s and 90s in most of the practice tests at QRZ.COM. I hope to be able to take my test in January.

And I'm trying to save up some money in order to buy something after I pass the test.

So what kind of a radio should I be looking at?

What kind of rig ya looking for? HF...VHF ...an all in one radio (that is what I call them)

you going to be running it mobil or base?

About how much you looking to spend?

Just starting out ..keep it simple...It is easy to get overwhelmed with some of the radios that are out there

I personally bought my HF rig used and so far am very happy with it.... Some of the new radio prices will make you shudder...

Give the folks here what bands you are wanting to cover and I am sure some good options will show up

In that I'm new to everything, I would like some recommendations as to what they would suggest.

I would like to get by with something to start with for under $500 if that is possible.

Got a Icom IC-718 practically new w/box, mic, cables, and manual. I'll even toss in a Heil mic cable for $500 total. Radio has the MARS mod done. Maybe 30 hours on it. That'll do . . .

Get some ladder line, some wire, and pick a tree for a homebrew dipole antenna.
All you would need is a power supply and antenna tuner.

Now that is a hell of a buy Robb (y)

wish I had the 500 and I would buy that

Frog,the radio that Robb is offering to sell would be a good place to start for a good solid used rig

Sounds interesting. I may very well get back with you on that if you still have it after I get my license.

Thanks

If the area you live in has VHF/UHF repeaters, then I would recommend a 2M/70cm Hand Held. I have the Wouxun KG-UVD1P hand held, I'm very happy w/it (around $120.00USD). Join the local Ham Radio Club, they can help get you started in the right direction.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.