• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the best coax and antenna???

211 in tha mag

Apr 11, 2005
Yes i am wanting to buy the best antenna and coax for a scanner, i only buy the best and i dont know much about scanner antennas and coax, so this is why i need some help, i just got my realistic 2006 with the opto 456 lite, and i was trying to get the best set up as possible, i am wanting to pick up about 45 minutes or better if possible, i can almost pick up 30 miles away with the stock antenna, but it is still a little rough coming in, so please let me know what you think and it will be deaply appreciated, thanks!

</p>

I don't know if there is any such thing as best, but LMR 400, RF 9913, and RF9914F seems to be about the best coax i've found. as for the antenna, I think that a good discone would be about as broad banded as anything, but a dipole cut to the length of the frequency that your listening to would probably give you better quality.

</p>

The best? Now thats a tough question. Some people think the most expensive is the best. For me, what will work well for a specific application is about the best. Right now I`m using two Hustler DCX discone antennas for two different scanners. Mounted at about 30 feet up I can receive stations 60 miles away. Fairly good antennas for about $25.00 each. Although I am getting interested in the Diamond D-13J discone for about

$80:00. The Grove Scan Beam can be used with a small tv rotor and pointed at your distant stations while still receiving local ones. Cost about $60.00. Or you could go with the AOR SA7000 vertical antenna for about $200.00. As far as coax is concerned I`m using RG8X for all my receiving needs. I find this coax to be more than adequate.

Main</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.