• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Whats used for High Power 50KW Connectors ??

Hey Jay, the next time you are in LA I'll get you a private tour of a 50KW transmitting facility running a pair of 4CX25000 and nitrogen charged 6" hardline. Let me know!

Yeah maybe a good call!.

Every once and a while I go to the TRW Swap Meet near the Los Angles Airport (LAX) with some shady radio characters.

Maybe you can even show up at the TRW Swat Meet, and meet all the other shady radio characters, (you might just feel at home?) wheel and deal, then we usually go and have a power breakfeast sharing what all neat-O radio equipement we bought.

We haven't broken any windows there ar anything else so we are invited back, instaed of not being invited back, like some places.

Yeah and then tour your radio station with the pair of 4CX25,000's. I'll try and keep the other guys from making child like noises with thier hands under thier arm pit. You can dress em up, but thats all...............

Will we be able to take photos, hope its not a military installation!

Jay in the Mojave

http://www.a1antennas.com

I think Jay just called me a "shady radio character". I would be offended, but that's probably the nicest lousy thing someone's called me lately.... :mrgreen:

Mole said: I think Jay just called me a "shady radio character"

Well, we are what we are. At least you were not called a "CB Retard". That would really be an insult. :LOL:

I got a picture of me working on the "antenna", but I don't know how to upload it to the photos section.

Jay, maybe we can arrange a mini tour with your Motley Crew.

NO NOT U Mole

Hello Moleculo:

No not you Mole.

I was referring to:

Desert Don and Welfare Clare, Hose Nose, Left over Carbrator Parts, Tommy and Bob, you know the guys who leave breakfeast on the faces, and can recite any frequency in the book. Just to name a few (Humor)

I hope this is all straighten out.

Jay in the Mojave

Uh Jay,
50 kW on the FM broadcast band calls for either 4-inch or 5-inch (maybe?) heliax. What serves as a "connector" really isn't meant to be easy to take loose. They use brass (bronze?) flanges with six fat bolts to hold them together.

The assumption is that once you get it all hooked up, you'd have no need to "unplug" anything.

Brings to mind an adventure from 30 years ago. I was visiting a college buddy in Lexington, where he was Chief Engineer of a FM running 25 kW to the antenna array. Lightning got the coax, blew a 3 foot-long hole in the side of it, just where it met the ground. We hack-sawed the damaged section and pulled the 'slack' length out of the building. Took the transmitter end loose so we could turn that section. Stripped off the plastic jacket, and just "screwed" one end into the other. With a lot of huffing and puffing, got at least a foot of it to overlap. Covered it with 6 or 7 rolls of electrical tape, and went back inside, retightened the flange on the transmitter end and fired up the transmitter. Wonder of wonders, it came right up, like nothing had ever happened. Didn't have to retune anything.

It took the consultant weeks to get new coax and install it. The station's GM was plenty happy with the 'hillbilly' repair, since he didn't even lose one drive-time shift.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.