• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which Would You Buy?

Which Would You Buy...And Why?

• Alinco DR-635T

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Icom IC-208H

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • ICOM ID-880H

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Kenwood TM-V71A

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Yaesu FT-7900R

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Yaesu FT-8800R

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WR0220

Oct 26, 2008
DX Land
I'm going to purchase a new 2m/70cm radio soon. I'd like to hear the pros and cons people have experienced with the various models available. Please post your choice, and what you like and dislike about it. I'd like to stay within the $300 - $400 price range, but if there's another model not listed you feel is worth a few extra dollars please use the 'Other' catagory and post your reasoning. Thanks

I have 2 8800's. I like the two receivers. Ability to x-band. Great memory management.

The volume controls are touchy but work for me.

Would be nice to have back lit keys but after I used the 8800 for awhile I do not have to look at the face to hit the right button.

I also had a ft-7800, It is a great duel band single receiver radio.

Steve
KC0TAG

Of the choices you listed, I picked the Yaesu FT-8800. I like being able to crossband repeat, which leaves only the 8800 and the Kenwood you listed. The Kenwood is a pretty nice radio, too. The ICOM ID-880H only works one band at a time and it is a DSTAR radio. I'm not sure if DSTAR is something you want or not?

FTM-350

I had a TMV-7A and loved it, nice rig, great display, but as I want APRS and 50W on 440 and 50W on 2M, Bluetooth upgrade capability and buit-in GPE option, I would, as I just did, choose the Yaesu FTM-350.

I have to say the Ft-8800, the crossband repeat is great and the memory management is the best out that group. I'd choose the FTM-350 if you included that in your list, love mine.

While I tend to like Kenwood products, I voted for the 8800.

I have it's predecessor, the 8100 and have nothing bad to say about it.

It has more than enough TX power and scans very quickly.

It also has crazy RX capability, 110Mhz to 136Mhz (air band AM)and 136Mhz FM to 1.3 Ghz.

I posted this poll on a couple different forums and the 8800 is the favorite of many. On the advice of a few locals (and some reviews I've read) I've steered away from Kenwood products, but would like to hear more about the TM-V71A if anyone has experience with one. They are currently on sale for $369 and I'm willing to give a Kenwood product a shot if they are a reliable rig. The biggest complaint I've heard is that the receive is noisy making difficult to pull in weak signals. If this is the case I'd rather spend the extra $30-$40 and get the 8800 if the receive is better.

I have an 8800 and wish I would have not spent as much. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten a used 7800 instead. That would have saved spending 1/2 the money spent to arrive at the same amount of usage.

Ask yourself just how many features these radios offer - and what you really need - in a practical sense...

I have own an IC-820, not a bad radio but only one band can be work out at a time. I sold on ebay, g some money back and invest my $$$ on a 71VA, and I love it.
Performance 9/10
Looks 10/10
User friendly 10/10 (able to program it w/o manual)
Scan-abilities 7.5/10
Mic amplification 8/10
Cross-band 10/10
Size 8/10 (location issues, however with the face extension cord, solved, easy to build one at home)
Speaker fidelity 7/10
Buttons usage 9.5/10 (they're not in the way of each other, very neat)
Memories 7.5/10 (can be divided into banks)

I friend of mine used to have a 8800R, not my favorite, looks awkward, buttons hard to reach if you're driving, deaf sound from speaker.......... In my opinion, not my favorite, at that time I was thinking to get a cross-band, thanks God he g an 8800R, was there when I realize that it wasn't the best option for me. The only think I dont like is the mic, not as ergonomic as Yaesu, but that's about it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?