• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who is King of the Hill HF base radio ?

NJ124, please do not take offense at what I am going to ask you. I was wondering what class of Ham you are? If you are a general what about the 2000 on HF makes it good, what about the VHF/UHF portion do you like? I have operated one and put it through a lot of paces, and there were a few things about it that I personally didn't like. The FM only sub band is a big limitation IMHO. You can't operate VHF/UHF SSB and monitor a HF freq at the same time. The IF DSP is not adequate either. The AF DSP in my TS570 is just as effective. Same way with the DSP slope tuning. I was going to buy one at one time and it just didn't seem to fit my operating style. All this is just my opinion.
Ed
KC0PZE

yes I'm a tech right now but i will have my general soon (working on my code) i just like the fact you have uhf, vhf and hf in one radio, i like the pre amp, antenna tuner, and it has great audio in ssb. the sub vfo is not all that great and it shoud have the same freq range as the main vfo, Am audio is pretty flat but remember this is a hf rig not a cb . Overall it was a good radio for the price and what your got for your money, also this radio has really good recive as well

Seriously though..

What does everyone think is a better radio and why..

Icom IC-7800

Yaesu FTDX9000

both are well over $11,000

Later

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
Seriously though..

What does everyone think is a better radio and why..

Icom IC-7800

Yaesu FTDX9000

both are well over $11,000

Later

Personally, I'm immediately inclined toward the Yaesu as I've been happier with Yaesu's user-friendly menus and they seem to have fewer lemons from the factory.

- Also, I MUST have an analog meter, even though the IC-7800 has the best 'fake' meter I've seen (I've had the privilege of sitting in front of Art Bell's mic with a 19" monitor on the wall echoing the 7800 display) but I still prefer a real meter as it has an infinite number of graduations so it's easier to see a minor difference in signal strength.

I was listening to 3.840 last year when Art got his new FTDX-9000 and everyone noticed that he sounded better, 'smoother' than he did on his IC-7800.

I've also heard him mention that he prefers the receiver on the FTDX-9000. Here's a link to his radio desk showing both:
http://www.remeeus.nl/hamradio/pa1hr/FTdx9000 & IC7800.jpg

I also prefer the monster size of the Yaesu.

I have to admit, that 7800 has a VERY sweet display... wish they made an ICDX-9800D with the best of both worlds. :idea:

Icom shows all it's stats..
Yaesu do not..

i am a bit taken back at how little infor yaesu gives regarding its tech stuff..

i think the Icom 7800 is better..
but
i would like to see the Icom 7800 being capable of using true broadcast mikes..

i hear what you are saying regarding analog mikes

Later

Which radio is best

Ive had the IC 7800 and the Yaesu FT 9000D and both are overated and very over priced all the so called bells and whistles just make them much more difficult to repair and you dont need all them if you just operate cw, I have 2 FT 1000Ds and 3-FT 990s and would not ever get rid of them I also have a TS 520.TS 530S,TS820S,TS830S,TS850S AND A TS870S ALOND WITH 2 FT 101E AND EX A HEATHKIT SB 102 ,HW 101 AND A SB104 THESE are just a few of the rig I currently have along with 2 Collins Rigs and a SignalONE xcvr.Beleive it or not I use all of them and are all in line now HI HI I also collect paddles and keys I have 281 different in my collection.When I was in tha Navy I acquirred a few nice ones from around the world,I was a SEAL for 15 yrs,had enough of that XXXX! and became a civi .73
Paul-K8PG-cw lives :D

Wow Paul ! You have a nice group of radios there for sure ! I am learning my code now. I passed my Gen. written test. I want to learn it to be able to use it, not just for the test. I used to not care for CW until I downloaded a program called CWget. When I connected my Yaesu up to the computer it was amazing to watch the morse turn into words and I was able to follow the conversations. I think CW will be fun. I have 1 HF rig, 757GX. I like it I hope to get a Heathkit set one day. Hopefully after I get the code out of the way I'll be able to give you a shout with CW. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated