1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Made This Modulator?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by V8Vega, Aug 13, 2009.

1. V8Vega

V8Vega Active Member

I have a modulator like this one (mine has a different meter though). The tuning knob component (Variable Cap?) on the side is shot and I want to try to find a replacement.

Attached Files:

2. Bionic Chicken

Bionic Chicken Active Member

Post a photo of what is bad, trimmer cap, air variable, whatever. Any numbers or markings will be helpful also.

3. fnkycoldmedina

fnkycoldmedina Well-Known Member

if the cord is red then "firebird" made it .i do believe thats correct.this runs a el84 tube .30 watt rms or about 60-70 peak watts when working right.

a 6bq5 tube is a direct replacement as well.

4. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Active Member

I think your right. I had a 303 when I was 11. 1971 was the year.

5. Bionic Chicken

Bionic Chicken Active Member

Yeah, I think Firebird also. John Wayne used to sell a ton of those amps at the CB Breaks and such in the '70s.

6. MisterFatty

MisterFatty Poppin Fresh!

Firebird made this and the Windjammer, back around 85 or so, it shipped with a 6BQ5, there was 2 styles of tuning arrangements for it. One had a ferrite core inside the cardboard formed coil, tuned with a small alignment type tool which came with it. The other style had a large finger ring formed from a plastic coated rod with some ferrite on the end of it, you moved the tuning rod in and out.

You won't be able to find replacements anywhere, much like its counter-part on the BlackCat JB series, they were custom done, and difficult to obtain even when they were actually being made. Best bet is to take it to someone knowledgable enough to make a replacement that will work.

7. MisterFatty

Here is an old page from H&Y I scanned a few years ago....

Attached Files:

8. V8Vega

V8Vega Active Member

OK...I took some pictures. What is it? There is no writing on it so how do I figure out the specs on it? You can see the white epoxy somebody used to try to stabilize the shaft. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

9. MisterFatty

I'd try and remove the make-shift knob and try to put it as close as possible back to original, I would guess this version originally had the Plastic GC Octagon Alignment/Tuning tool. carefully Remove all the crap and give it a shot.. Does it not tune at all anymore? unstable?

10. V8Vega

V8Vega Active Member

It's just too sloppy and won't tune. I've been scanning the net trying to find a parts rig, but they seem to have all dried up.

11. harlyworkr

harlyworkr New Member

I have one of these Power Modulators and I can't get it repaired because nobody knows what the parts are that are missing. I need some good pictures of the circuit board on the back to identify the parts. If anyone has one that can take pictures for me, I will be forever n your debt. Someone removed parts and I don't know what they are. Please Please and Please.

12. kaos513

kaos513 Well-Known Member

hard to find old stuff these days its getting harder.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  13. harlyworkr

harlyworkr New Member

I know this all too well. That is why I need pictures or a schematic. (I think this will be impossible)