1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Wilson 1000 or Stryker SR5 Antenna?

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Galaxy 959, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Galaxy 959

Galaxy 959 Active Member

Will be running just a barefoot properly tuned radio. Whats your guys opinions on these 2 antennas? I have a K-30 now and a Lil Wil. I mostly use the K-30 now. Or if you have another suggestion I'd like to hear it also. Truck is a 2001 GMC Ex Cab 4x4. Because of my carport my antenna cant be no taller than the K-30 and I have it on my bed rail at the rear pocket on the drivers side. I chose the Wilson and Stryker because they screw off the mag mount and I'm sure they will have much better range. Thanks for any input.

2. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

From what I remember many people claimed that the Stryker was a re-badged Wilson. If it was me, I would leave enough coax handy, run the magmount on the roof then lay it into the box when you go into your carport.

Galaxy 959 likes this.
  3. Galaxy 959

Galaxy 959 Active Member

Yea that's a good idea. Would my current antenna perform better in the center of the roof? I've never tired it because of my carport situation. The SWR is pretty much less than 1 to 1.2 across all 40.

4. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Yes it would and it would perform better with a fixed mount. SWR is not an indication of performance. A dummy load is 1:1 but makes a poor antenna. You will find the SWR goes up if you move it and/or use a fixed mount because the more efficient the ground plane, the shorter the antenna needs to be so you will most likely find you need to retune it a little although as long as the SWR is below 2:1 I wouldn't bother.

I would use a Sirio Hypower 4000 if you can get them in the USA. They're almost the same performance as a Sirio Performer 5000 but the whip is more flexible so the carport height restriction isn't an issue. I once took a Sirio 4000 on holiday to Menorca, Spain when I decided I wanted to operate 10m band. I put it in a suitcase coiling the whip up into a loop. 24hrs later I took it out of the suitcase and it sprang right back into shape.

Galaxy 959 likes this.
  5. gamegetter

gamegetter Well-Known Member

Greetings:

If those antenna's are serving your purpose then continue to use them. Everyone's needs and experiences can and will differ. I believe that mounting them up on top of your pickup would help you. In most cases having the antenna up on top does turn out to be better. Again you would have to try it and see if it works out better for you given all of your requirements. The same goes for the exact mounting location. If the cab is well bonded to the frame then generally a central mount should work good. You may have to move it around though to find the sweet spot other wise.

Besides the 4k mentioned above, Sirio makes another antenna that you can lay down and it has a handy lever to do so. Linky below:
    http://www.sirioantenna.com/index.p...id=180&zenid=d5535bfc1a6f6e0354046cdf56437a50

I do not own one of these myself, but have read many good reviews on them. I may try one in the future myself.

So while there are generalities and experiences we can share, we can't for sure say how a particular antenna will turn out for you, sometimes you have try them out. I have more mobile antennas than I remember now! Enjoy the hobby.

#5 gamegetter, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Galaxy 959 likes this.
  6. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

I have the stryker it is just a wilson 5000...Siro is much better..

jessejamesdallas and Galaxy 959 like this.
  7. eagleeyes

eagleeyes Member

I suggest a sirio performer 5000. Wilson antenna are lacking in quality. Had a wilson 1000 go bad on me within a phew years. Bought a magnet mount sirio performer 5000. There are 3 ways to take off the antenna. Can unscrew it from the magnet. Can lay it down using the pivot point it has. Or can unscrew the pivot point joint and take the antenna off without having to unscrew it from the magnet. The performer 5000 seems alot better built. Good swr. Performs very well. May be a bit more expencive to buy the antenna magnet and the antenna, but seems well worth the money compared to the cheap way wilson is building there stuff. Had a bad wilson 1000 magnet sent to me.

jessejamesdallas and Galaxy 959 like this.
  8. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Sr. Member

Yep...The Stryker is just a P.O.S. Wilson with the Stryker name on it...Get the Sirio 5000.

Galaxy 959 likes this.
  9. Galaxy 959

Galaxy 959 Active Member

Which mag mount will work with both the 5000 Performer and the High Power 4000?

10. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

Yes. Just make sure it is a good quality one.

11. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

The sirio pl145 mag mount will work with both the 4000 and 5000 models of the Siro antenna. The 4000 whip is longer and thinner thus the easier bending. Used one for a while and came back to the 5000 perfromer. Works well even with the mag mount, for a mag mount that is! Check out DNJ radio, I believe they offer a combo deal with the antenna and mag mount. Costs a bit less this way.

Galaxy 959 likes this.
  12. Galaxy 959

Galaxy 959 Active Member

Yea I checked them out at DNJ. They are currently out of stock. I think I may go with the 5000 and the mag mount. I gotta sweet talk the wife lol.

binrat likes this.
  13. gamegetter

gamegetter Well-Known Member

there should be other sites that carry them. have you looked on copper electronics or their sister company h&y electronics?

Galaxy 959 likes this.
  14. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

H&Y might have them. I think I got one from there. I have bought a few, mostly from DNJ.

Galaxy 959 likes this.
  15. Galaxy 959

Galaxy 959 Active Member

H&Y Has it for $111.81 shipped. Is that a decent deal or should I hold off. Its a package deal on there together. Thats the performer 5000 with the magnet mount 145PL.