1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Wilson mag

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Ziploc, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Ziploc

Ziploc Well-Known Member

Morning guys , trying to decide on antenna . Wilson 1000 vs 5000 I’m only seeing differences in coil gauge and maybe Stryker mag?

357magnum likes this.

2. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Used a Wilson 1000 for years never a problem..

357magnum and Ziploc like this.
  3. r carl

r carl Well-Known Member

They are the same except the 5000 handles more power. It has a heavier copper coil to handle more current.

357magnum, 144inBama and Ziploc like this.
  4. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

The wilson quality is not what it used to be. I have a 5000 that leaked water into the coil. I now have the sirio 5000, and it is much better in quality and performance.

5. jkp1

jkp1 Active Member

I believe the 5000 has a heavier coax.

RT431 and Ziploc like this.
  6. 144inBama

144inBama Electricity doesn't kill you, ignorance does.

I have both the 1K and 5K.....I run the 1K because I have yet to get the 5K to tune....been a real headache/scratcher. The mag base and coax are the same....I lost my 1K after our hurricane so bought the 5K, it would never tune so I took a 18+ year old 1K coil & whip I had in the shed and screwed it to the 5K base....perfect SWRs again.

7. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

I've had my Stryker about 3 years now , Performs awesome w/ my King Bee 250 & Old 140 GTL , first day I had it ( dropped whip in & match was flat ) I might have got lucky . I called out for DX on 28 and made a contact on that train wreck of a channel . :LOL: I might have been lucky again ! :whistle: I just like the way the Stryker is built ( jmo ) My truck is high so I'm always banging the whip on something but I have never had a problem . Price wise about the same as a 5000 . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 732 & God Bless ! Leo

8. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

You go leo!!!

357magnum and Slowmover like this.
  9. r carl

r carl Well-Known Member

I just bought a 1000 and it wouldn't tune under 3 swr, I called Wilson and she said to send it back and we will send you a new one. They must know there are bad ones.

10. r carl

r carl Well-Known Member

Update, I received a new one quickly and it tuned flat easily. They must had had a batch of bad antennas and now have good new ones. They have a 2 yr warranty and I'm sure they will take care of you. Save your receipt.

11. codeman

codeman Recovering Crackerhead

How far does the sirio lean back, not the whip but the antenna itself, as far as going under low drive thrus and for me my carport?

12. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

The Sirio Performer 5K folds totally horizontal both forward or backwards.

L2 and codeman like this.
  13. codeman

codeman Recovering Crackerhead

Thanks, just seen it on yewtoob. I like the Wilson 1000, but it was a pain having to unscrew it every time I got home and put it back on when I would leave. I have a lil' Wil right now and it is just ok.

I am planning on running my 1990 Philippine made 148 in my truck with a small helper. Possibly a Carlbuilt c80 or maybe a RM Italy of some sort. Leaning toward the c80 though.
    My 148 will be heading in your direction ForrestRunner.
    I am going to have Chris Holland at Superior Cb shop in Ontario do some work on it for me.

#13 codeman, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    ForestRunner98 and undertaker like this.
  14. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

I have no issues with it. Just the gasket that goes between base and mount gets distorted. I used a 1.5mm rubber sheet and made a gasket. Used temflex snd super 88 to weatherproof it.

I hear good things about that shop. About 30 miles from me. Let us know how it goes!

r carl and codeman like this.
  15. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

It will lay completely flat, just don't forget to put it back up when you hit the key. :whistle:

codeman likes this.