• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Worst (or best) offender

RParz

Apr 19, 2005
Chi-Town
I'm looking to test for RFI/TVI on my base, and I would like to know what items are notorious for having bleed over. That way, I can key up and not have the neighbors calling and complaining when I'm 'testing' new toys. Or, if any of you have other ideas, that would be appreciated too.

"Older" stereo equipment (haha) I have some... cheap tv's on rabbit ears come to mind real quick :) I had a neighboor (the only one who complained) that I was coming in on his computer speakers... Tried low pass filters without much luck. Took some torrid chokes over and wrapped speaker wires through them...no more touble. Good luck, Hooty

Just had a buddy shut down by the city , it wasn't that he was running big power or anything like that and he did everything in his power to quiet things down , he was just bothering the wrong neighbors City said , down you go and down he went. Good ole CB radio . It's just one thing after another anymore and depending on where you live , now they no longer want RV's parked in owners driveways , cause they say it makes the surroundings look bad. Now owners have to pay storage fees to keep them elsewhere. I could sit here all day and name off the ever changing BS that goes on around me. They say it's for the better , but I only seeing it making it much worse and harder and costly on others. IM done.

Is that even legal? If he had a legit station, no amp, and was following the rules, there really is not much the city could have done legally. Very odd. However, if he was in a antenna restricted deed house, that could have been trouble.

Switch Kit said:
Just had a buddy shut down by the city , it wasn't that he was running big power or anything like that and he did everything in his power to quiet things down , he was just bothering the wrong neighbors City said , down you go and down he went. Good ole CB radio . It's just one thing after another anymore and depending on where you live , now they no longer want RV's parked in owners driveways , cause they say it makes the surroundings look bad. Now owners have to pay storage fees to keep them elsewhere. I could sit here all day and name off the ever changing BS that goes on around me. They say it's for the better , but I only seeing it making it much worse and harder and costly on others. IM done.

DX47,
Is it legal? Yes, for at least a few years now. Any law enforcement agency can 'shut down' a CB radio station, not just the FCC (deals with interference from an ~un-licensed~ transmitter, not just CB radio). How that interfering station is shut down, as in immediately, or after unsuccessful attempts to 'cure' the interference, depends entirely on the 'enforcing' agency, how much 'they' know about radios, interference, 'cures', and electronics in general. Typically, it's a "Turn it off now!" sort of thing, how many LEAs know anything about radios, you know?
Why did that change? Because at ~least~ half of all interference complaints deal with unlicensed transmitters. The FCC finally got tired of the mess and let other agencies deal with it. What happens when it's a licensed transmitter doing the interfering? The complaint it turned over to the FCC and they deal with it.
Personally, I'd rather have an agency who knows what they are talking about to handle an interference complaint rather than just being told to shut it off. Some of those interference complaints are from people who have inferior equipment that picks up any 'junk' that happens along.
There are advantages to having a radio license. It doesn't mean you are exempt or 'immune' from interference complaints, just that you are going to be dealt with by people who do know more about what's happening than the average LEO/LEA.
- 'Doc

(Been there, done that (twice!) city and district courts. You really don't wanna know.)

Hmm interested, I did not know things where handled that way with CB use, or could be anyway.

Incentive for your friend to get a ham license if he is motivated to get on the air.

RParz said:
I'm looking to test for RFI/TVI on my base, and I would like to know what items are notorious for having bleed over. That way, I can key up and not have the neighbors calling and complaining when I'm 'testing' new toys. Or, if any of you have other ideas, that would be appreciated too.

Before i say anything i would like to know what kind of setup do you currently run? Radio, amp, coax, antenna.....how high is it and is it well grounded? There are a lot of things that will cause this problem and sometimes there is no filter that will help.

I've heard the arguments for decades now , and maybe a ticket would have helped him ? The City and the surrounding neighbors didn't like the bleed but they also didn't like the guys house looking like a command center either , Citys have the right and the laws to go with it. If they don't want something in it they will get rid of it ! FCC or not. This is truly the part about CB radio I do not miss anymore. My fairly good neighbors becoming my enemies because I felt I had the right to run my junk and ruin there TV's / Stereos and Computors ......I was young/dumb and thoughtless of others becuase of my hobby. How would I feel if I was the person being bombarded with somebody else's radio communacations ? NOT GOOD !! Nowadays in my parts , it ain't the FCC that will shut you down first , it's more so City's and Law inforcement that will :( weather you like it or not. You know what it's called when you interfear with your neighbors stuff around here ? Disturbing the peace !! in the beginning you will be warned , if it happens again ,you will be fined and standing in front of a judge .......is that worth it to you ? They just don't put up with this crap anymore. So getting a ticket and running a ham radio might be the better way to go , but if the city doesn't want that ugly monster beam hovering over those homes as if you were a command center , they will tell you to get rid of it !! Are we having fun yet ? Welcome to my once upon a time ago nightmare. :(

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.