• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun kg-uv920r Mobile

milkman21218

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 12, 2006
Central, Maryland
Wouxun has plans on the release of a New Dual Band Mobile unit. This a link of a picture that I found of the new mobile unit it can be enlarged. It sure looks like a winner. Read the Specs. From what I heard it's in the $150-$200 price range. If so it's going to totally upset the Amateur Radio world.

Here is a picture of the rig:

moleculo-albums-wouxun-kg-uv920r-picture2191-wouxun-kg-uv920r.jpg

Here is a copy of the current specs:

moleculo-albums-wouxun-kg-uv920r-picture2192-kg-uv920r-specs.jpg

Looks like a mix between a Kenwood and a Yaesu.
At half the price, it really is going to rock the VHF/UHF Ham world.
Man, I am going to be just a bit upset if it is anywhere near quality as my Yaesu if it cost much less than half the price.
I'm already feeling a bit ripped off.

Remote head and cross-band repeat for less than $200 ? ? ? ? ! ! ! ? ? ?
etc, etc, etc . . .

Thanks for that VERY HOT TIP - milkman.
New Hams will be able to get into 2m/440 for half the price that I did.
Too cool ! ! !

bleh...

i'm waiting for the wouxun ftm-350 clone...

lol...

Welcome to the forum.

But I think you found that clone right here with this Wouxun . . .

Well -almost. No APRS. Wonder if all the buttons are backlit - that is a big gripe with me and the Yaesu. If the Wouxun has an easy to use interface; I just might sell it and get the Wouxun. The Yaesu can scan many freqs; but is difficult to use - unless you keep the manual next to it. But if there is an programming upgrade for this Wouxun - like the handheld Wouxun's have - maybe it is also capable of scanning a wider freq range. I'm a bit put off by the Yaesu's difficulty in using the interface - about as cryptic as it gets - IMO. Not exactly 'user friendly'.

I paid about $400 for my Yaesu FT-8800R.

Well I have to say that if the price is under $200 then I will pick up one of these and use it in the shack that I'm setting up. I was originally looking at the Yaesu 8800 but with this at half the price, it's a complete no-brainer. If it's anything like the Wouxun handhelds that people have been raving about, it sounds like just the right ticket. I can see also just how well it will allow new hams to get their first radios without having to spend a pile of cash. On top of that you get a brand-new unit, no secondhand stuff, that's just a bonus.(y)

When will they be out?

Still trying to find out more on release date. And the price which I think could be a little off. Because the radio is alot more than I was first told. But that was the original quote. I know that the HT's are at lease 1/2 off what a radio like that would cost. So I'm hoping that everything is true. And the specs are really awsome. Look like it has RX on FM 65-220 Mhz, LW 150-500 Khz, AM 500-2000 Khz 2-30 Mhz. I do plan on getting one. Will keep you posted if I find out anymore.

I would order one in a heartbeat. I have never owned a dual bander except for an old Kenwood HT.

Let me rephrase, I WILL order one when someone can point me to a link to do so!

KB0APE

Looks like a full duplex system, might have to get one for the base set up for working the FM Birds !!

radio

Looks good, and about time someone is under bidding popular brands where the NEW ham can afford a radio, some market brands are way over priced..yes the Doctor plans on purchasing one also.

DOCTOR/795/CEF795

I'm in the market for a decent 2m mobile rig to use as a base station. This one with 70cm as well looks like a winner for me. I've waiting this long for one, I can wait longer until this thing comes out.

I'm just hearing nothing but good things about Wouxun!

Does combative = critical?

I hope this rig is all that it's cracked up to be, but critical comments about it are very necessary for a potential consumer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.