• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X treme 2018 mic

Old Goat

Aug 10, 2008
South Central KY
Should a 2018 mic work on a 2995 if it is wired wright cant get mine to work when I key up needle moves but no sound just low noise. It does same thing on the 2970. Thanks RAY (525)

Q: Are you using a mic plug/conversion adapter - or did you wire it to the radio with the RCI plug?

It sounds like the mic isn't turned up enough. I have the same mic as you, but I only use it for my mobile on occasion.

The actual mic gain is on the inside of the mic. Here is the page for the manual:
RF Limited EC2018XTR Echo Mic - EC-2018 XTR ECHO MICROPHONE
You may need to turn it up from a hole on the back of the mic, using a jewelers screwdriver. The hole is located between the two large echo delay/level knobs. The hole is labeled "VR2"; that is what you will want to adjust. I turn mine all of the way up, and then back it off a tad. That did it for me.

Last edited:
I have one also. Great mics ! Make sure you have a good battery also.
Another thing, when you say it doesn't make a sound are you talking about transmitting or the talk-back ? If you can't hear the talk-back that also is turned up inside the mic .

i agree on what was already posted.and check your noise reduction switch is it
on or off.carefull with the talkback adjustment i find that turning it up too much
and this mike squeals terrible.i also adjusted my audio on the mike itself wide open
and if i remeber right turn it counterclock wise to do this.once the mike is maxed
out just use your mike gain on radio and/or the noise reduction switch.its alot easier
than using the small screw driver all the time.let us know how it turns out this is a great
mobile mic.if not the best

i have that same mic myself and just like the others i love mine . here is a link to a great review of it with some recordings of its sound effects and info on the internal potimeters .

RF Limited EC-2018XTR Xtreme Echo Mic
RF Limited EC-2018 Turbo Echo Mic
RF Limited TRB-1 Turbo Echo Board

i turned the mic gain on my uniden all the way up . turn the gain pot on my xtreme up till squealing or ringing starts then turn it back half a hair past just enough to stop it . my modulation was still clean even when the ringing started . i run nc on with dt and dials about 2 and 2 in my mobile and in the house

i have that same mic myself and just like the others i love mine . here is a link to a great review of it with some recordings of its sound effects and info on the internal potimeters .

RF Limited EC-2018XTR Xtreme Echo Mic
RF Limited EC-2018 Turbo Echo Mic
RF Limited TRB-1 Turbo Echo Board

i turned the mic gain on my uniden all the way up . turn the gain pot on my xtreme up till squealing or ringing starts then turn it back half a hair past just enough to stop it . my modulation was still clean even when the ringing started . i run nc on with dt and dials about 2 and 2 in my mobile and in the house

Which way is up? LOL. ....cw or ccw? I hate to be obvious but want to be clear. Thx

I hate the shape of it. It does not fit in the hand well at all. I am not keen on toys like echo and such built into a mic. For me any mic that has echo, robot voice, reverb etc......is trash. That said it is prob. the best-built mic marketed to CB available. The SL41 fits in the hand better and does not have all that other garbage.That said it is not really a power mic though the SL41 that is!

They say the sl41 isn't a power mic but it has an internal adjustment for the audio level and requires a battery to work. Even with it turned down I still had to turn the mic gain on the radio down. I think that was marketing to keep people from saying a noise cancelling power mic is a dumb idea.

I hate the shape of it. It does not fit in the hand well at all. I am not keen on toys like echo and such built into a mic. For me any mic that has echo, robot voice, reverb etc......is trash. That said it is prob. the best-built mic marketed to CB available. The SL41 fits in the hand better and does not have all that other garbage.That said it is not really a power mic though the SL41 that is!
But for those who play AM and want the best of the best echo, power mic, noise cancelling, and talkback mic, the 2018 mic is by far the best IMO.

Even if you do not use the other features, the power mic portion itself stands head and shoulders above the rest. Even beat the Astatic 575 IMO, as it was clearer and punchier with a better freq response. The echo portion doesn't scrimp on quality either, since it uses a top grade digital chip to synthesize echo, and is not muddy or adding distortion like the Galaxy units. The noise cancelling part of it works and has an on/off switch; but it is not the best feature in it. If you want a better N/C mic; you could do better.

Not exactly rare to find, but if you compare it to other mics with similar feature for 1/2 the price, it solidly puts the boot in their rears. It isn't cheap and there are a few sellers that have a few in stock, but they go for a ridiculous sum.

I no longer have one myself, as I traded it for a mobile antenna. Too bad they still don't make them new, as it was a real goer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
Some of the better sounding mics don't fit the hand well. My 2018 xtreme and cr577 had been sitting in the closet for years so I sold them both to someone that would use them. Considering what I paid for them they were good investments.

I just got another Xtreme 2018 a couple months ago from Bob's CB for about 70 dollars. Bells has them as well for about the same price. That is a bit pricey but I really like that mic. Thinking about buying another one or two and putting them in a box until I need it.

They say the sl41 isn't a power mic but it has an internal adjustment for the audio level and requires a battery to work. Even with it turned down I still had to turn the mic gain on the radio down. I think that was marketing to keep people from saying a noise cancelling power mic is a dumb idea.
Almost all electret condenser mics need some sort of power either from the radio or from a battery. All electret mics have a fet built into the mic and that requires power. Unlike a dynamic mic eletrets do not work at all with out power but that does not make it a "power mic". If you look at the SL41 you see it had pads inside already for mic up/down, scan and other functions too. If I recall properly it even has a pad and spare wire so it can be powered by modern amateur radio's like Icom and Kenwood 8 pin connectors that already have a hot pin. If you look at a "power mic" with a dynamic mic element it will still function like a stock mic with a dead battery or no battery at all an electret will not function at all with out power. In fact if you look at any mic used for professional vocals they all need 48V phantom power to work and I assure you none of them are "power mic's" at all they still need a preamp, mixer, eq, compressor, downward expansion etc.....

I hate to say it but from a design stand point you can have plastic in any shape you want. The fact that RFLimited has the Extreme series shaped like a piece of t2x4 dimensional lumber means they are either dumber than dirt or they do not give a sh*t! Look at how we design tools, flight controls and weapons to fit into the hand! Rounded tear drop like shapes are much better fit for a human hand!

In fact if you look at any mic used for professional vocals they all need 48V phantom power to work and I assure you none of them are "power mic's" at all they still need a preamp, mixer, eq, compressor, downward expansion etc.....

There are plenty of dynamic mics used for professional vocals that do not require phantom power. I'm not going to try reasoning with you. You are bringing irrelevant b.s. up about compressors and downward expanders to look like you know something.

Reactions: dave457

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.