• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT 847-- Anyone used one??

High Miler

May 30, 2005
Pennsylvania
I just ordered a Yaesu FT 847 from AES and was wondering if anyone had used this radio?? I always liked the Yaesu line and had the chance of using the FT 101, FT 757,FT 767,FT 1000 etc... etc... I have enjoyed the Yaesu line very much over the years..

I am anticipating it's arrival and look forward to posting an update once I receive and have a chance to use it. :)

That radio is PURE JUNK!! SEND IT TO ME I WILL TAKE CARE OF IT! :LOL:

Actually I have used one and it is a great rig, I used it to make some satelite contacts as well. If you use it at home the MD-100A8X mic is a perfect mic for it, dont let anyone talk you into a Heil for that radio the MD-100 is just what you need. I found it was off frequency a tad and that kinda bothered me and AES said to send it back and they would check it out. I researched is a bit and found how easy it was to "align" the TX-RX on it so I did it myself and it works great. It took me about a month to get the balls to modify it because of the solder bridging and removal involved but I did it with no problem JUST READ THE MOD AND BE CAREFUL.

I bought the collins SSB filters and you can choose 1 in TX or one in RX or buy 2 SSB filters and have both :shock:

If you want a antenna tuner they offer the FC-20 but I dont know if thats what I would buy, just not enough info on it.

Check into this place you may get more answers,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YaesuTuner/

Again THAT RADIO IS JUNK SEND IT TO ME RIGHT AWAY DONT EVEN OPEN THE BOX!!!! ;)

LOL!! :p Ok I'll get 'er boxed right up and get 'er on it's way to you!!

I did order the MD 100 for it, and as of yet gotten anything internally for it.

As far as tuners I got the Big Boy from MFJ ... I really like my Roller Inductor Tuner and wouldn't use anything but...

Thanks for the post... I was counting on Yaesu putting some more "Junk" on my table!!

LOL!!! :D

ft-847

have one now for about 3 years it is modded, and i also use the md-100x mike never a problem and always good reports.
only use it on ssb for hf , 6&2 mtrs. never any 70cm. acitivy around these parts. if you ever want to get rid of that junk
i'll even pay for you to ship it here in my garbage can. LOL!!!

I will offer a slightly different opinion on the FT-847.
I have owned one for about 3 years, and I am happy with it, but after getting my Icom IC-706 MK-II G, I would rather have another 706 over another 847. At the time I bought my 847, I paid $1200, while my 706 was $750. Dollar for dollar, I prefer the 706 for HF work, ...(VHF/UHF are the same on both radios). To my ear, the 847's HF receive is harsher, but I have no filters.
I also find the layout and functions of the 706 to be a bit more friendly than the 847, and I am not a fan of blue displays (not easy on the eyes in low light).

Since I am lucky enough to have both of these excellent transceivers, and do side by side comparisions, I would be happy with a 706 and a few extra $$$ in my pocket.
( but the satellite function and cross band repeat function are very cool, if you have the need for them).

Just another opinion offered for someone else considering these radios.

Reactions: Mudfoot
I bought an 847 to replace a 732 that got fried in a near-hit lightning strike. I[m happy with it as far as it goes but I do not use it on HF. I have a Mark V Field I use on HF. I use the 847 for satillite work and it works very well on that I do use it to monitor fire dispatch on VHF when not using it otherwise and that has good results, too.

I would reccomend the radio for a tech plus who would be looking for just one first base radio that covers HF plus VHF AND UHF. It's a nice radio to start out with if you have the $$ to spend.

High Miler,yaesu's ft847 is a great rig for v/uhf all mode and satellite operation.It is a decent performore on HF but there are better radios if you just wanted HF frequencies.
It would make a nice addtition to any shack. Enjoy your new radio and 73,Stu

Reactions: Darkrfoverlord
Does anyone know if the Yaesu ft847 has the bulb fuss in it like the Yaesu 747 and 757 has in it?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.