• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-897 SSB offset TX settings advice

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I'm fooling around with my FT-897d trying to get the audio sound a little better than it does ("communications grade" was the comment I got). Unfortunately there's no way to monitor yourself with this rig. I have a little deeper voice naturally, but I'm told that this rig just isn't getting any bass out right now.

I'm interested in what others are using for the TX SSB offset settings and what they're voice characteristics are like? It would be nice to have some starting points that I can go from.

Thx

The carrier offsets will shift you towards the bassier or more treble side of a given band pass width. I do know that for USB if you shift it one way, you will need to shift it equally in the other direction for LSB to sound the same. I don't remember which way is bassier or more treble off hand but monitoring on another rig will show you that quickly enough.

Now, if you want a major improvement for fidelity on that rig, INRAD makes a 2.8 or maybe a 2.9kHz filter for that radio that makes it sound as nice as most of the higher end 'audio' oriented rigs. The filter is about $155, but the audio difference with the wider SSB bandwidth is worth it.

For a mic, look at the Audio Technica ATR-30, it's about a $40 vocal mic. Combine that with the wider filter and maybe some EQ in line and that 897 will sound _fantastic_.

Here's the INRAD site.

http://www.qth.com/inrad/

The filter is the 715, which is 2.8kHz You'll also need the plugin board for the 897 for that and enable that filter for TX and RX in the menus

Reactions: Woody-202
I have the W2IHY stuff that I use with the 746pro. For the 897d, I want to just get it sounding as good as i can without all the accessories since this is my field rig.

i turn the tx eq off, not many people here like the sound of that eq setup with the stock mic,
then adjust the tx shift to get the best balance between bass and trebble, listen on a second radio, i prefere one with a wide rx bandwidth but that may not suite somebody using a narrow bandwidth receive filter, you wont please everybody,
wear tighter underwear:D

i turn the tx eq off, not many people here like the sound of that eq setup with the stock mic,
then adjust the tx shift to get the best balance between bass and trebble, listen on a second radio, i prefere one with a wide rx bandwidth but that may not suite somebody using a narrow bandwidth receive filter, you wont please everybody,
wear tighter underwear:D

That will only make him look sexier bob.:D

I'm fooling around with my FT-897d trying to get the audio sound a little better than it does ("communications grade" was the comment I got). Unfortunately there's no way to monitor yourself with this rig. I have a little deeper voice naturally, but I'm told that this rig just isn't getting any bass out right now.

I'm interested in what others are using for the TX SSB offset settings and what they're voice characteristics are like? It would be nice to have some starting points that I can go from.

Thx
I have an FT-897D Yaesu and I found that by setting my carrier offset on LSB on +300 and on USB set it on -300 and I get the most bass at these settings and I also set them the same on receive. Also if you have the HM-31 mic that came with the radio if you bought it new, set the switch on the back of it in the number 1 position for more bass. I have mine at these settings and get good reports that I now have enough bass. I also tried the dsp mic eq settings in the menu but found that it sounds best to leave that OFF.
Hope this helps.
73, Bob

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated