• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU MH-59 Mic RFI NIGHTMARES!

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
Well I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the Yaesu FT-897D and FT-857D.

I have had 4 of the FT-857D's
and 2 of the 897D's
and 2 of the FT-817ND's

I bought the optional MH59 remote mice for the above radios and EVERYONE OF THEM would give me rf feedback. Recently I was waiting on buying my 4th remote mic in hopes Yaesu would have finally corrected it because their tech support sucks and could never fix it.

So I ordered the MH 59 this week on Monday and had it Tuesday, this was the 4th mic with the 4th Yaesu 857D,,,,IT DID IT AGAIN RF feedback above 12 meter

I called AES right away and they had me call yaesu, which of course I did and the wanted me to try the clamp on ferrite beads, didnt work, he said return it to AES and get another mic.

F THEM

I returned the mic and sold my 857D I WAS PISSED,,,

So I am sorry I led anyone toward the 857D, it works great with stock mic but that remote MH 59 is crapola in my opinion.

I just got my ICOM IC-7000 today, I hope I like it.

Yaesu can kiss my ass

well HH, I hope you like the ic-7k i have one, hopeing to get some time on it today. so far it has been better than my ft847 even though iv'e done everything possible to improve it filters new diodes. we'll see how it pans out. 73

Nothing wrong with Yaesu or Icom or Kenwood etc etc. Everyone of them has an issue somewhere with something.The 857 is not at fault HH the MH 59 is at fault. No need to get a differant rig IMO. Is THIS the RFI fix you tried? I have heard of some folks using a clamp on toroid on the outside of the case on the cable that did not seem to work as well as the one inside the case.

As far as Icom = junk,no more so than any other manufacturer.They had their problems with the early 706's and Yaesu had a problem with the early FT-100's blowing the VHF/UHF power output transistor.

Bill,
I can tell you are VERY upset by all of this, The only way to get through this is to very quickly pack up all of your Yaesu radios, and send them to me, I will take care of them for you.
As soon as they are on the UPS truck to me you will feel so much better!
Hey no need to thank me, that is what friends are for.
Jeff

Just wondering Bill, did you know about the RF problem that mike has before you bought it (them)? It seems to be a well known problem from what I have read on Eham and other places.

AudioShockwav said:
Bill,
I can tell you are VERY upset by all of this, The only way to get through this is to very quickly pack up all of your Yaesu radios, and send them to me, I will take care of them for you.
Jeff
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :beer :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

When I bought my first 857D and MH-59 mic I did not know about the RF problem,,,,I thought it was the radio or mic. I also owned an 897D at the same time and hooked the MH-59 to it and had the same RF. I knew it was the mic. I called Yaesu and they told me to try some clamp on ferrite clamps. DIDNT WORK. The mic worked below 15 meter without RF so I dealt with it. The mic does it all so I said well I may as well buy one for my 897D and deal with the RF on it as well. Then I bought another 857D and MH-59 and wanted to use 10 meter and had same problem.

Should I have done the ferrite bead inside the mic? Yeah maybe so but why? That mic cost 80 dollars, YAESU SHOULD FIX IT!!!!! Yaesu said it must be my antenna/coax setup. F THEM

To add to this whole mess, I started using the 897D as a base and bought the FC-40 tuner, another Yaesu product, and it did it with that as well, using their coax and a wire from their tuner! I didnt abuse myself enough so I bought myself the MD-100A8X Yaesu desk mic, DID THE SAME THING ABOVE 15 meter!!!

Gave it a few months and thought Yaesu HAD TO HAVE FIXED THIS, bought the mic this week and CRAP!

By the way, I hooked up my 706 MKIIG to EVERY antenna after the RF problem occured and never had the problem happen with that radio,,,,so much for the antenna/coax being the problem!

I sold all my yaesu crap this week!

hey hammer at least you used your little yaesu's,
i bought the very last of the ft100d's in this country,

since then its had maybe 3 houres been turned on and a houre talk time on lowest power setting,

the rest of its life its been sat back in the packaging it came in waiting for me to wire a decent mic to it,

i looked at the probs some folk had with feedback and vhf popping a pill, none of my friends have had any probs like that so far but they have had drifting frequency on fm if they allow supply volts to drop below about 13.6v,

i checked the schematic and see yaesu neglected to fit thermal tracking on the vhf biasing (dickheads), looks easy enough to do but i will only try it if the final goes down and im forced to work on it anyways,

i have seen the so called yaesu factory fixes on the net and i am discusted at what they did to peoples new radios,
i would not let the bodging clowns anywhere near my radio,

i dont like the cooling setup so i bought some uprated fans which i will fit b4 i even start to use it,

it would have been nice if they had come with a choice of either AM or CW filter because the CW is useless to me and the AM filter is too expensive for the little use it would get,

seemed like a good idea to try one at the time but since then i have just run the 10mtr cb and mk2 706 mobile too scared of smoking the ft like my buddy smoked his icom 703 when we are out foxhunting and playing minikeydown games,

i will probable end up fitting a narrower 6 or 8kc FM filter and using it as a decent FM/SSB cb radio with the odd foray onto hf,

thats the last time i buy new. i will stick to fixmeuppers and use and abuse them with a carefree attitude ;)

AudioShockwav said:
Bill,
Jeff
............... :) That was good.

Bill, forget this,
AudioShockwav wrote:
Bill,
Jeff

I am much closer and could have saved you a bunch in shipping so next time just send it to me.73 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.