• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-6R TX Mod

KI7FOX

May 18, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
NOTE: If you have a computer program that you use to back-up your radio memory, make sure to do that be starting this project. All memories WILL BE LOST!

1) Remove the battery from the radio.

2) Remove the black cover (you can use and x-acto knife or small flat-blade screwdriver) and the SU-1 (if you have it).

3) There will be two sets of jumpers near the bottom of the window. A set of eight, on the left, with 2 soldered jumpers; A set of five on the right with no soldered jumpers.

4) Looking at the set of eight, count from left-to-right starting with 1. The number 4 & 5 jumpers will be soldered. De-solder the number 4 jumper so it looks like the other non-soldered jumpers.

5) Replace the SU-1 (if you have it), the black cover, then finally the battery.

6) Perform a Microprocessor reset by pressing and holding the [MODE(SP S)SQ TYP], [0(SET)], and [V/M(DW)MT] keys while turning the radio on. The display will say "ALL RESET PUSH F KEY"...so, push the [F/W] key.

7) The radio will now transmit from 137 - 174, 222 - 230, and 420 - 469. It will even transmit on 6 meters (haven't tested the power output on 6m yet).

FINAL NOTE: The radio will also transmit on aircraft, broadcast FM, and other frequencies as well, but be warned this could cause the radio to shut-down and the only way to get it to turn back on is to plug it into the charger. Obviously, I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING TO TRANSMIT ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN 6M, 2M, 1¼M, AND 70CM!

Attachments

• VX-6R Mod.JPG
    VX-6R Mod.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 11,007
Reactions: L33KOR

5m is indeed low power

The power at 5m is low. I think it's 0.5 or 1W.

I can confirm that accidentally hitting PTT while on a broadcast band drains the battery very quickly, which IMHO is a good thing because it helps keep you legal.

I wish Yaesu had added an "off" option to the power levels so I could lock out transmit on any band. Not only would this help me stay legal on a modded unit, but it would be great in disaster or disaster-training scenarios where you want to share a radio in "locked" mode to allow transmit only on one ham band but allow tuning and listening on other ham bands.

NOTE: If you have a computer program that you use to back-up your radio memory, make sure to do that be starting this project. All memories WILL BE LOST!

1) Remove the battery from the radio.

2) Remove the black cover (you can use and x-acto knife or small flat-blade screwdriver) and the SU-1 (if you have it).

3) There will be two sets of jumpers near the bottom of the window. A set of eight, on the left, with 2 soldered jumpers; A set of five on the right with no soldered jumpers.

4) Looking at the set of eight, count from left-to-right starting with 1. The number 4 & 5 jumpers will be soldered. De-solder the number 4 jumper so it looks like the other non-soldered jumpers.

5) Replace the SU-1 (if you have it), the black cover, then finally the battery.

6) Perform a Microprocessor reset by pressing and holding the [MODE(SP S)SQ TYP], [0(SET)], and [V/M(DW)MT] keys while turning the radio on. The display will say "ALL RESET PUSH F KEY"...so, push the [F/W] key.

7) The radio will now transmit from 137 - 174, 222 - 230, and 420 - 469. It will even transmit on 6 meters (haven't tested the power output on 6m yet).

FINAL NOTE: The radio will also transmit on aircraft, broadcast FM, and other frequencies as well, but be warned this could cause the radio to shut-down and the only way to get it to turn back on is to plug it into the charger. Obviously, I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING TO TRANSMIT ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN 6M, 2M, 1¼M, AND 70CM!

Hi, thank you for this post.
1 Question: Does this HT also have a SOFTWARE mod like the VX7R, using VX Commander?

good afternoon
I have a new radio vx-6e, the jumpers are all desolate, I wanted to expand the radio, because it only does uhf and vhf
I already did the reset with the keys of the right and the other reset with the keys of the left and nothing
please do not have the jumpers 2 desolate please help

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated