• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX 8R APRS help

wildwest46

AA6QQ
May 3, 2009
Stockton, CA
This is my first experience with APRS, I set up my VX8R like it says to in the manual but when I try to find myself on Find Me or the other sites they show me in the same spot four days ago even though I have had it running pretty much every day since then. I usually have the "A" band scanning banks and I understand that it won't TX the beacon while the squelch is open so today I have kept the other bands quiet and since I have the GPS mounted on the radio I have it set on auto and TXing the beacon every five minuets with the same results of me (W6SOL) EB on HWY 238 near Hayward CA where I was on Saturday. Anyone have any ideas? Does it take several hours for it to reset or does it show real time?

Try changing the digipath #2 from the factory default to WIDE2-2. That will cause your beacon to be relayed by any fill in digipeaters one additional time increasing the chances of it making it to a digipeater that is linked to the internet.

It's also likely that you're just competing with too many other stations in your area, like me. This is one problem with APRS...little guys like HTs in the big cities that we're in (San Francisco, Los Angeles) just get stomped on by all of the other more powerful beacons.

I see that your last beacon that was picked up made it into N6ZX-3, above Palo Alto. That region is very hilly so depending on where you go in that area, there may be hills in the way of the closest digipeater. I find that I can't hit any digipeater at work becuase I'm surrounded by small hills, like I'm in a bowl.

Lastly remember that the HT won't beacon if it's currently receiving APRS traffic. In big cities, you're going to have APRS traffic going non-stop. That means you probably need to change your HT to beacon almost every minute, just so that it might find a quiet opening the next time it attempts.

Thanks for the help, I just recently changed the path to wide 2-2 because I noticed that the stations that were being seen had that setting. How quickly do the maps reset ? As quickly as my Garmin?

The maps are updated as quickly as they get the updates to the database. Sometimes it's almost instant, sometimes it take 10,15,30 minutes

I like

Login - Google Maps APRS

Just enter any nickname, or your call if you like, in the box.

Then you have a google map interface.

On the right, enter your call into the track callsign field and click search.

Moleculo, what site do you use for the map? How were you able to tell where my last beacon was picked up ?
Thanks
I have a coworker that says that google is run by the feds...sssshhhh!! hehe

Login - Google Maps APRS as mentioned is good.

Also look at OpenAPRS. openaprs requires you to register because it lets you send and receive aprs messages right from their web. It also gives you access to the aprs/email gateway. Hey try sending me an APRS text message tomorrow if you get a chance...if you get into the digipeater.

Actually with as many VX-8 users that we have on this site and other APRS users, we should start a WWRF APRS group... :)

Thanks for the help guys, last night I went outside and sent a bunch of beacons before I went to bed and this morning is shows me at my home QTH in Stockton, I guess I just had to get out in the open to make it work.
I've downloaded both the Google Maps and Open GPS and they both see me.
Sure Moleculo, I will send you a text, what is your call sign ?

Sent you my callsign.

I have the same problem at my house...indoors I don't get picked up by the digipeater, even though it's not far from me, but I'm kind've in it's shadow. You might try a better antenna, or better yet, set up a 2m rig at home to be your own personal fill-in digipeater. It's easy to do.

I'm having problems sending messages with my VX8R which probably goes along with my beacon not getting through. I live near the Bay Area so that probably explains that, someone made tha suggestion to change antennas, has anyone had luck getting through by doing this? I was thinking about the Diamond SRH320A, the mobile version works well with my Kenwood TM 741 triband. Will the increased gain on 2 meters increase my ability to get into the digi-path?

It's hard to say because you're not going to gain much on 2m with any HT antenan. It helps out 220 and 440 though. If you have one already, it's definately worth a shot. If you're thinking about buying one, but the equivalent one from Jetstream. It's exactly the same antenna, made by the same company, and is about 1/2 the price.

I changed my antenna to the Diamond SMA320A, made a big difference in getting into the digi-peater. Lately with the stock ducky I couldn't find myself with OpenAPRS or any of the other ones for that matter as long as I was in Stockton, if I got out of the city limits I didn't have a problem. With the new antenna I can hit it no problem in the city. Big improvement on 2 meters and 220

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.