1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Yaesu VX-8R Volume using the external speaker mike

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by dmarotti, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dmarotti

dmarotti Member

Has anyone noticed that the volume on the Yaesu VX-8R is too low when using the external speaker mike? Has anyone found an adjustment to make it louder? I have the radio set to the highest volume (25), and it just doesn't seem loud enough even with the mike attached to my collar. I have a Motorola mike I use for my job that is much louder. There has to be a way to make this one louder; especially when you are working an event where there is a lot of people and a lot of noise. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

dmarotti

2. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you have the ability to compare your mic with someone else's mic to see if the problem is a faulty speaker element? Mine seems OK, but I've never had a commercial grade one to compare it too. The VX-8 hand mic that I have seems to be about the same as every other HT hand mic I've used as far as volume goes.

3. dmarotti

dmarotti Member

I will have to check around to compare with my friends mikes. Thanks for the advice. I did notice however after reading the manual and playing with the volume specifically, that among other things, 25 is not the max volume; 32 is. So i turned it up and it seems a little better. The real test will be in a crowd of people making a lot of noise - which will usually be the case when I'll be using this HT. Thanks again.