• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8R Volume using the external speaker mike

dmarotti

Jun 28, 2009
Has anyone noticed that the volume on the Yaesu VX-8R is too low when using the external speaker mike? Has anyone found an adjustment to make it louder? I have the radio set to the highest volume (25), and it just doesn't seem loud enough even with the mike attached to my collar. I have a Motorola mike I use for my job that is much louder. There has to be a way to make this one louder; especially when you are working an event where there is a lot of people and a lot of noise. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

dmarotti

Do you have the ability to compare your mic with someone else's mic to see if the problem is a faulty speaker element? Mine seems OK, but I've never had a commercial grade one to compare it too. The VX-8 hand mic that I have seems to be about the same as every other HT hand mic I've used as far as volume goes.

I will have to check around to compare with my friends mikes. Thanks for the advice. I did notice however after reading the manual and playing with the volume specifically, that among other things, 25 is not the max volume; 32 is. So i turned it up and it seems a little better. The real test will be in a crowd of people making a lot of noise - which will usually be the case when I'll be using this HT. Thanks again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.