• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yagi better than ground plane??

Andy

Feb 9, 2007
USA - Illinois
I have access to a 3 element yagi (I'm not sure the brand) that I could put up. My question is, would a horizontal 3 element yagi at 30 feet out perform a good ground plane which would be at 40 feet when talking DX.

Also, my yagi and ground plane would share the same mast pipe. How much separation do I need to keep between them? Because I could move the yagi higher up on the mast pipe.

Thanks,
Andy

The main advantage of the beam is due to its directional characteristics, especially on receive. The added gain helps too.

However, there is the exception when the verticle's lower take-off angle will get you someplace that the beam just cannot reach. That's why it's always nice to have them both.

Andy said:
I have access to a 3 element yagi (I'm not sure the brand) that I could put up. My question is, would a horizontal 3 element yagi at 30 feet out perform a good ground plane which would be at 40 feet when talking DX.
Yap...at least it should.

Andy said:
Also, my yagi and ground plane would share the same mast pipe. How much separation do I need to keep between them? Because I could move the yagi higher up on the mast pipe.
I would think 6' min.

The answer to the first question is YES......and NO.

A yagi and an omni are two different antennas designed to do two different jobs.

A yagi concentrates the energy in a single direction. At 30' the take-off angle of the signal will be constant and only the changing height of the ionosphere will change where your signal will land. Its like changing the angle of the pool stick when you hit a ball off of a bumper. I'll explain it more if you want.

Also, when a signal skips, it tumbles. Sometimes the receiving station hears you better with a vertical antenna, with you transmitting with a horizontal. And vice-versa.

Today the vertical may work better than the horizontal. The advantage of a beam is that it directs your energy where you want it. The disadvantage is that it has to be rotated.

If you are interested in DX, get a beam. If you want to talk to locals and the occasional DX, get a vertical.

As far as separation goes, my number is 14.5' It is a non-resonant distance of a 1/4 wave while still being shorter than a 1/2 wave. This is theory and has worked for me. Half this distance would be 7'-3" and should work also.

Master Chief said:
The answer to the first question is YES......and NO.

A yagi and an omni are two different antennas designed to do two different jobs.

A yagi concentrates the energy in a single direction. At 30' the take-off angle of the signal will be constant and only the changing height of the ionosphere will change where your signal will land. Its like changing the angle of the pool stick when you hit a ball off of a bumper. I'll explain it more if you want.

Also, when a signal skips, it tumbles. Sometimes the receiving station hears you better with a vertical antenna, with you transmitting with a horizontal. And vice-versa.

Today the vertical may work better than the horizontal. The advantage of a beam is that it directs your energy where you want it. The disadvantage is that it has to be rotated.

If you are interested in DX, get a beam. If you want to talk to locals and the occasional DX, get a vertical.

As far as separation goes, my number is 14.5' It is a non-resonant distance of a 1/4 wave while still being shorter than a 1/2 wave. This is theory and has worked for me. Half this distance would be 7'-3" and should work also.

Thanks for your help and info.

I don't know if this makes a difference but... I just found out that the yagi is a 4 element not a 3 element.

I do plan on keeping my omni up. I was just wondering if it would be worth my time putting a 4 element (horizontal) yagi up. I am mostly interested in talking DX, for everything else I would use my ground plan. What's your opinion (is it worth my time)? I have the antenna and the rotor, I just didn't want to put something on the tower that really isn't going to be that much help.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Andy

Personally, I think the simple fact of the yagi being directional with nulls off the sides and back is enough reason to make it a worthwhile addition, especially in crowded areas. The added gain, to me anyway, is icing on the cake.

Hello Andy,

Im sure when u make the beam accoording the site from signalengineering you will have great results.

When your beam has different element thickness (other then the described 5/8,1/2) you should have different element lenghts to get max out of the antenna. Though it is only marginal. (but we all want the best, isnt it?)

73s Henry.

I'm sure that by now you've figured out that there is a benifit to having both antennas. And there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to improve them. I would suggest that you try out the beam as 'stock' before modifying it, it'll give you a base line to see how much 'improvement' you've made. (Then of course, telling us about the differences!)
Have fun.
- 'Doc

The more I think about it the more I'm torn on what to do. I usually work 27.385 the most but also the higher freqs a little. If I mod the antenna according to the website I will have good front to back ratio but I will lose approx 1 db which I know is not a big deal, but... If I leave it at the stock settings I will keep that db but my F/B ratio won't be as good. In my case where I live, I really don't have anyone I need to "knock out" so I'm not sure if I need a really good F/B ratio. I'm new to this so if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about it is because I don't :? . What are some opinions on what I should do? Should I keep the stock settings or modifiy?

Thanks,
Andy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated