• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yagi/vert experiment

wavrider

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 2, 2009
I tried an experiment this afternon and results were good.

I brought down the TA-33 for maintenance, it was working fine but decided to look at the hardware etc preparing for the upcoming suncycle and did not want any surprises.

I had an old aluminum .64 WL for 11 meters laying around, I was going to just stick it on top of the TA-33 to use for 10/11 meters, then I ran across this article.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp/unun.html

So I took the matching network off the .64 wl vert,removed the 1/4 wl ground plane elements. wrapped an rf choke, ugly Balun, lengthened the vert to 24 feet. Installed the vert above the TA-33. connected the center conductor of the coax to the radiating element and the shield to ground.

The TA-33 and build tower, all of six feet tall, now became the counterpoise.

I hooked up the antenna analyzer and a 3kw roller tuner, I can tune the vert from 10 meters through 40 with the tuner.

Now to test it out.

Roamed around 20 meters until I found a DX station. Made the call, he had a good pile up going so after a few unsuccessful attempts I turned on the amp.

I got through the pileup and got a 5-9 to HA3NU, not to bad for being six feet off the ground to the feed point.

The vert is 4 inches above the boom for the TA-33. It did not change any vswr on the TA-33.

The Question Is?

What effect will it have on the TA-33?

The vertical does not have the gain or directive pattern of the TA-33. You may not want the gain loss and definitely do not want a skewed beam pattern.

It's up to you but I would monitor things closely when you get it back up in the air.

TA-33 in horizontal plane, vertical of course in vertical plane, should not skew any pattern at all.

The TA-33 cover 10,15-20 meters only, has some gain and rejection.

The vertical may not have any gain or around maybe 1 dbd, the gain will come from being 75 feet in the air to the feed point, and being able to work 10,12,15,20, and 40 meters off one antenna.

It is a compromise antenna for sure, but benefit is having multi band usage
and low angle of radiation. If I need more gain, that is what the switch on the amplifier is for.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated