• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeasu FT101 EE Question.

King Mudduck said:
I found one of these today for $275.00 in very nice condition. Before i get it i wanted to know what your thought's were on it. The only mod that has been done to it is the 11 meter mod.

I do not believe that there is a "11 meter" modification on the FT-101 series of radios; The FT-101 series came equipted to operate on 11 meters right out of the box.

Fire is up and check out the operation of the mode switch and the volume control, check sidebands for linearity and equality, check idle current in SSB and finally, check out the power out from 80 to 10 meters (into a cantenna).

FT-101 Website

paws264 said:
I do not believe that there is a "11 meter" modification on the FT-101 series of radios; The FT-101 series came equipted to operate on 11 meters right out of the box..

Not quite; they couldn't be sold that way. However, all you generally had to do is figure out which part of ten meters you could live without and remove that corresponding crystal. Then install the proper crystal for 11 meters, and REMEMBER which position of the bandswitch is the right one.

That's it.

It will depend on when it was made, the "early" 101`s had 11 meters both TX and RX enabled from the Factory, then some were built with on RX on 11 meters only, and the last ones the markings for 11 meters was removed on the face plate above the band switch and they added the AUX spot. And The 11 meter crystal was not included as well.
As Bettle said, many just removed one of the 10 meter rocks and put the 11 in its place on the later models.

Jeff

They are great radios. Well know for Good Audio in AM Mode they work even better on SSB. Not to bad to work on, the only draw back is that they have plug in boards that stand up vertical in the radio, sometimes made it hard to get at the board to do voltage measurments. If you had a set of board extenders, that was the way to go. Pull the board you wanted to work on, stick it in the extender, and plug that into the radio. This allowed easy access to test the board. You can still find parts for them on E-bay, and there are many in use today. 6JS6C`s are still around, if you look, and the driver is a 12BY7A, also a common tube.
Sure they do not have DSP, or the filtering that todays radios do, but they still get the Job done.
As long as it has not been abused they are great radios.
If you plan to use it on Am, I would find a AM filter for it, that really helps the RX, but if you don`t, it is not needed.
Sorry to hear you did not get it, $ 275 is not a bad price for a good one in working order.

Jeff

I guess i should have let you guys know that i later found 2 Yaesu FT101-EE from another friend. Both are in outstanding condition and work great. I did sell one to another friend who bugged me for a month to get it but i kept the nicest one.

.....funny how things turn out sometimes :LOL:

not bad radios..
i've had a couple here but they just don't seem to stack up to my kenwood ts-520 ............

maybe i was just the ones i had

scott

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated