• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Your experience with these rigs please?

d1g1man

Feb 25, 2008
Hi everyone, I got a wild hair up my SO-239 and have decided to play with some "vintage" radios, I have good modern rigs, just want to play around with some old stuff just for the fun of it, and I don't care if I screw them up.

I want to get a 40 channel SSB mobile. Realistic, JCPenny, or Sears Roadtalker.

I guess my real question is, which is the best and most/easiest of each of these manufacturers for extra channels.

Shoot me some opinions and model numbers.

Thanks, and have a good one!

I like Undens; and any of those companies that used a Uniden chassis is allright by me.

I think the RoadTalker 40 channel is one of the best 'vintage' AM/SSB rigs out there in that list you have.
There is a local around here that uses one with an old Antron 99 and a Astatic D-104 Silver Eagle.
Sounds great with just a few watts output.
Loud and clear.
Both AM and SSB.

Last edited:
any rig with the mb8719 pll should be easily modified for extra channels. there a lot of rigs with that pll so a google search would be necessary to obtain the list of radios.

Thanks everyone! please continue to post your experiences.
It never dawned on me to check the PLL lists, DUH! thanks there BOOTY MONSTER!
I love the roadtalkers, might pick up a 450 in the meantime, that should be pretty easy. Would love to find a Pearce Simpson Bengal MKII, but I might have better luck finding Jimmy Hoffa! Also, I think I know which one I want the most, it would be that BLACK FACE Unident Grant. Why oh Why would they stop making a PERFECT radio like that? I dunno. RigPix Database - CB, "Freeband" and more - President Grant
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate you taking to time to give me your input on this!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.