• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 139XLR and a 142GTL

VQ3 has a redesigned mounting system with strong "collars" for the elements. I had no issue with any shifting.New Document_10.jpg

Reactions: DelR
Also, CopperElectronics sells a Maco Shooting Star 8 element, which looks like the MoonRaker, 4 vert and 4 horiz, with the same power multiplication of 28, which makes me like the VQ3 design better, because of the weight. The only thing that worries me is the "wop sided" design not being balanced on the mast like a regular beam.
If you get a shooting star @ 8.91 sq. feet wind load, you will want to use at least a Alliance HD-73 or Yaesu 450ADC ($309) mounted down in the tower going thru a thrust bearing above. Better yet, use a HAM IV w/ mechanical brake.

You can also use a CP beam. Single feedline, down 3dB in Vert & Hor, but you get everything no matter the polarity. Which for DX, it is never going to be true Vert or Hor.

If you get a shooting star @ 8.91 sq. feet wind load, you will want to use at least a Alliance HD-73 or Yaesu 450ADC ($309) mounted down in the tower going thru a thrust bearing above. Better yet, use a HAM IV w/ mechanical brake.
I had a HAM IV with my 4 element and worked great. Sold out in '92, boy, am I kicking myself you know where. I got it for doing some antenna work on a 90ft tower. I was young back then. Got the rotor, 2 coaxes off a broken moonraker, and a jb200 black cat. All that went very well with the Gold Face Maco 300 I paid $300 for.

for DX, it is never going to be true Vert or Hor.
I've noticed that when dealing with skip that stations fade on horizontal as they get louder on vertical, and vice versa....... which seems to indicate that signals become more circular in polarization as they travel from transmitter to receiver.

I've noticed that when dealing with skip that stations fade on horizontal as they get louder on vertical, and vice versa....... which seems to indicate that signals become more circular in polarization as they travel from transmitter to receiver.
When signals bounce the polariztion flips, therefor it can seem like it's circular. Using horizontal polarized antenna will have less noise because most manmade noise is vertically polarized.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.