• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10-13m Mobile Antenna -- V-dipole (also, fiberglass rod antenna parts)

NavyVet1959

Jun 28, 2023
Republic of Texas, SE sector
It seems that every ham rig that I've seen with a dipole is either vertical, horizontal, or an inverted V.

My Jeep (JL) cannot get into the garage without removing the 3 ft fiberglass antenna that is mounted with a commercial mount that positions the antenna between the spare tire and the lower rear hatch. The lower rear hatch is also not electrically connected to the body of the vehicle. I have run a ground wire from the lower rear hatch to the frame of the vehicle though. This does not help me with my clearance issue. A spring will do no good since the spare tire and upper rear hatch limit the movement of the antenna so that the antenna would probably be destroyed after the first couple of times going into the garage.

As I was working on it the other night, I realized that if the antenna was tilted 45 degree to the side, it would probably fit under the garage door, which made me thing on the V-type antennas. I had never seen any V-type antennas on vehicles. Is there any inherent reason why someone might not use this type of antenna? Assuming that you wire up the coax center connector to one antenna and the shield to the other antenna, wouldn't you have a V-type (i.e. non-inverted) 1/2 wave dipole? Would that also eliminate the need to ground the antenna to the body of the vehicle?

Also, has anyone made their own mobile fiberglass rod antenna? Where did you find the 3/8"-24 bottom for the antenna? TractorSupply sells some 3/8" x 3' fiberglass electric fence posts that would probably work great for wrapping wire around for an antenna, but I have not been able to find the 3/8-24 connector... Maybe I just don't know the right term to search for...

Feel free to find fault in this... I'm just a curious old dog trying to learn new tricks...

Thank you for your service to our country and welcome to the forum!

Interesting dilemma you have.

A homebrew 1/2 wave dipole like you suggest would need to be 9 ft long for each leg without a loading coil and not practical for your Jeep install.

You could make a dipole out of two identical but preferably tunable 4ft CB whips.

You can fabricate your own bracket for an V antenna by simply bending a straight piece.

Be sure to insulate one antenna with a typical nylon CB stud washer while the other antenna sits on the metal bracket and split the coax and connect accordingly.

A V antenna will give neither a true directional or horizontal pattern and will not be as effective talking local due to it's radiation pattern especially when driving. For skip talking, it'll let you hear what it can and you should be able to get back to them.

Another easier suggestion to keep what you have is to use on of these adjustable angle mounts. Just try to keep the angle less than 45 degrees.

Good luck!

JBC100.jpg

The Buddipole VersaTee with the optional rotating arms is made to do just this type of thing. The VersaTee is not really made for portable use where the antenna getting whacked will put stress on it, but there may be a way to accomplish what you're after with that system.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.