• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

$1000 MFJ Balun?

FatHam

Staff member
Apr 15, 2011
So Cal
After trying to install a $29 MFJ-918 balun, I found that the coax connector had been mounted off center slightly in its 3/4" hole. This prevented the hood on my pl-259 from tightening down all the way, as it needed to screw down inside the hole at least a couple of turns to be fully tightened.

Having just spent the last two nights sharpening and re-pointing a Spyderco knife at my radio bench, I thought I'd put it to use opening up the hole in the balun. I traced around the connector hood with a pen to show me how much material needed to be carved out, as seen in the photo below.
mfjbalun_housing.JPG

As you can see by the nice "curl' of PVC coming off after a light pass with the knife, this was going to work out in a jiffy. With a MORE POWER mentality, I decided "I'll just cut deeper and get it all in one pass..." Note the red "drip" on the balun? lol read on...

Yes, that deep pass with the just sharpened knife slipped out of the hole and ran right across my thumb. I looked right away and saw something white"ish" right at the bottom of the cut before the whole thing filled with blood that started to go everywhere. I stuck it under the sink and yelled for the wife to bring a band aid. She showed up, took one look and said "get in the car..." Damn, I hate when she says that after I ask for a simple band aid.

Luckily the ER wasn't busy as it was almost midnight, and they got me right into a room. There was only one Dr. on duty, so I still had to wait about 45 minutes, in which time the bleeding had stopped and I found a bonus...
What are the odds of having the latest issue of QST sitting there waiting for you right next to your ER bed?
thumb_qrz.jpg
Beautimus! BTW, the DR. complemented me on my sharpening skills, so I had that going for me too.

So seven stitches and a thumb brace later, I got home and went right back at the balun, cleaning out the hole with 3-4 light passes of the knife. The balun and my new dipole work better than I had hoped.

balun_thumbwrap_sm.jpg

Alright, so it wasn't a $1000 balun. It was a $29 balun and an $971 senior moment. :drool:

OUCH! I hope you didn't cut the tendon in the back of your thumb. That.s a nasty place for a deep cut.I know a guy that cut it with a hack saw and it took a long time to heal properly because he did a number on the tendon.

I did my left hand middle finger earlier in the year with an angle grinder while cutting a bunch of steel bars inset into our basement walls. Wife said she heard me cussing but didn't hear a tool drop beforehand - she figured she'd better get downstairs.

Didn't bleed much at all; grinding wheel edge was so hot it cauterized the edges of the wound on its way past. Earned me some stitches and a tetanus shot, though.

Good Lord, make that a $1582 balun! I paid $100 at the Hospital towards the deductible and figured I'd get a bill from Blue Cross, which just came today.

How about $958 for the hospital (including a $170 splint - $5 at the drug store) and $500 for the Dr. that put in the seven stitches.

So, since 75% of the people at the ER take their kids there for a runny nose, have no insurance and no intention of paying, I guess it's up to "Joe Taxpayer" to come to the rescue. Makes me sick.

Ya hear that MFJ?!!! lol

Reactions: 1 person
At least it was a nice clean cut, luckily you didnt go deep enough to get that tendon.. I just got the stitches out of mt hand this past Friday, 16 of them, but the broken bones are gonna take a bit longer to heal..

Craig

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    No conditions woodstown NJ.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place