• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148 GTL

renegade522

Nov 14, 2011
metolius,oregon
it has the proper crystal iin it and the MB8719 any one have the channel mod diagram for it would like to put the uppers in it 27.455-805 and also the mod to get 27.415-445 thanks

Easy enough.

Google MB8719 frequency modifications.

Pick the site you like and enjoy the reading.

Yeah, you can modify it with a couple of switches. But the result with that method are freqs that are not in the same order as the regular 40 channels are. In other words, they channel distribution with the simple switch mods are skewed.

For example; when the first switch (of two switches in the mod) is flipped - it will start at 27.605 on ch 1 and then go up from there until you turn the channel switch to ch15 - which will jump down to 27.435 and work its way up from ch 15 to ch 40.

To get them to be consistent and similar to the 40 channel progressive freqs, they make a kit that will convert it to some ~300 channels. Including the "A" channels. These are the channels in between some of the existing channels that any CB radio has - there are built in gaps for the 'radio control' hobbyists. That kit and installation will run about ~140 from a shop that does that mod. Makes that radio a real gem that way though.

Yeah, you can modify it with a couple of switches. But the result with that method are freqs that are not in the same order as the regular 40 channels are. In other words, they channel distribution with the simple switch mods are skewed.

For example; when the first switch (of two switches in the mod) is flipped - it will start at 27.605 on ch 1 and then go up from there until you turn the channel switch to ch15 - which will jump down to 27.435 and work its way up from ch 15 to ch 40.

To get them to be consistent and similar to the 40 channel progressive freqs, they make a kit that will convert it to some ~300 channels. Including the "A" channels. These are the channels in between some of the existing channels that any CB radio has - there are built in gaps for the 'radio control' hobbyists. That kit and installation will run about ~140 from a shop that does that mod. Makes that radio a real gem that way though.

A few crystals and a three position switch will give you 120 channels in sequence, an $5 mini toggle switch or use a switch on the front of the radio will give you a 10KC drop for the A channels. Hell of a lot cheaper than $140.00

You can purchase a used export that will give you 240channels USB/LSB/FM/AM modes for around $140.00

Reactions: 1 person
Get caught transmitting up there and you better have $10k ready to pay the fine. Get your ham ticket...it's much cheaper. (y)

The freeband channels just above 40 are illegal for hams too. Or for a ham to run a modded Cobra 148 up there. No matter, the FCC has much more to worry about with modern communication's. Unless you are really stepping on your wang you have nothing to worry about.

Here is the link for 148 mods. Cobra 148GTL

The freeband channels just above 40 are illegal for hams too. Or for a ham to run a modded Cobra 148 up there. No matter, the FCC has much more to worry about with modern communication's. Unless you are really stepping on your wang you have nothing to worry about.

Here is the link for 148 mods. Cobra 148GTL

Absolutely true on both accounts. I have listened to the freebirds on 27.500 and they seem to be pretty well behaved compared to the noise toy using, profanity spewing retards on the lower 40 using SSB.

If I could step on my wang I would have had a entirely different career!

Reactions: 2 people
Absolutely true on both accounts. I have listened to the freebirds on 27.500 and they seem to be pretty well behaved compared to the noise toy using, profanity spewing retards on the lower 40 using SSB.

A different breed of operators on the free bands, and in all honesty, I think ROBB will confirm this, the free bands are more active than ten meters most of the time.

If you could step on your wang you would not need a career.
In the words of Ted Nugent, " Wang Dang Sweet Poon Tang".

Reactions: RatsoW8
A different breed of operators on the free bands, and in all honesty, I think ROBB will confirm this, the free bands are more active than ten meters most of the time.

If you could step on your wang you would not need a career.
In the words of Ted Nugent, " Wang Dang Sweet Poon Tang".

Unless I looked at the frequency display I would assume they were a couple of hams chatting. They're basically operating exactly how they would on 10 meters with a license(or any other ham band). But there's a lot more room on the ham bands to operate. So, what's the draw to do it illegally on gov't spectrum? Just curious.

I bet Ted Nugent freebands like a mother!!

Unless I looked at the frequency display I would assume they were a couple of hams chatting. They're basically operating exactly how they would on 10 meters with a license(or any other ham band). But there's a lot more room on the ham bands to operate. So, what's the draw to do it illegally on gov't spectrum? Just curious.

I bet Ted Nugent freebands like a mother!!

Same thoughts here, those international freebanders do utilize courtesy and what not when making contacts.

I actually had one ask me for my call sign once. I was aligning an old siltronix and was listening in somewhere around 27,500,( those old silkies drift so much not sure where I was) and the op was calling CQ, great sounding signal and audio.

So I went back to him and he was in Dominican Republic running a TS-50 and home brew 1/4 wl ground plane.

We QSO'd a few minutes then he wanted my call for his log? I had to hesitate before I gave it as if I did not know any better I would think I was working the hammie bands.

The draw for using freeband? I dunno, some countries their freq privileges are in the free band area, others are lower than our allocated 11 meter freq.

I guess it is used just to make contacts when the propagation is available and it is not as crowded as the 40 channels are.

World CB 11m Frequency Allocations

link to allocated freq around the world.

A few crystals and a three position switch will give you 120 channels in sequence, an $5 mini toggle switch or use a switch on the front of the radio will give you a 10KC drop for the A channels. Hell of a lot cheaper than $140.00

Oh absolutely agree with your method.
Thing is, that the fellow that started this thread may not have enough knowledge accumulated yet to make his own crystal board.

Get caught transmitting up there and you better have $10k ready to pay the fine. Get your ham ticket...it's much cheaper. (y)

Won't argue the legality of what you are saying. There are many problems with enforcing such a rule world wide, as this is really the center issue in this long standing debate. Even if you could stop the US users of the freeband (an impossible task I might add); there would still be every country in the world that would have to successfully enforcing it as well. Even more impossible to do. That would be like trying to eradicate the drug problem - that hasn't been any kind of success either.

You might find this next fact as amusing as I do. Those poor freebanders have to put up with the 'Woodpecker" - a well-known professional/sanctioned interloper into all of the freeband reported world wide. It's a radar station that plays havoc with the entire freeband.

This is a must read!
Over-the-horizon radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This low-level HF radar with nearly a million watts ('reported as such') sweeps thee band and can temporarily wipe out those who do the DX thing on the freeband. Having said that; it is hard to imagine the US Gov't allocating these freeband freqs for use when such a powerful jammer as this has been at work for a decade or more. Maybe some MARS ops use those freqs; but they too must deal with that same 'woodpecker'.

I think that since such a condition exists on the freeband, the freebanders are still willing to talk there (with their courtesy and DX clubs from all over the world) just to escape the mundane chatter of the CB AMers - then they surely are a tolerant bunch and must endure more than we Hams do - IMO. Even if we do get an occasional interloper into 10m with an export radio operated by a newbee CBer from AM trying his brand of ignorant humor.

They have been at this freeband thing for decades too.
I find their level of expertise, tolerance, and courtesy amazing.
Ham candidates if I ever heard one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Excellent reply.

LesComm 8719 Expa kit, Cobra 148 2000 2010 140 142 | eBay

Back to the thread topic.

I have used Lester's products before, always excellent never any problems, instructions are straight forward.

Above link will give more channels than the chassis is capable of using.

Of course you will need the knowledge and proper test equipment to align the radio after this is install. Lester states not plug and play so some skill is needed to perform this installation.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.