• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

#16 Boat anchor on my door step "National NC-155 Receiver"

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
In this video I found a National NC-155 sitting on my door step. The receiver is very dirty and shows a lot of signs of many years of abuse. Will it still work with out a lot of repair?

Lets find out.

The National NC-155 is a ham-bands-only receiver covering the 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 and 6 meter bands. Has BFO, product detector, three levels of selectivity (5, 3 and 0.6 KHz) and separate RF gain and volume controls. It is a somewhat cost-reduced version of the NC-270, leaving out the crystal calibrator and notch filter. Both radios use dual conversion. The first IF is 2215 KHz using an LC oscillator in the NC-155 and crystal oscillator in the NC-270. Second conversion for both is 230 KHz using a "Patented Ferrite Filter". Changing the coupling between the two halves of the filter provides the selectivity choices.

The NC-155 was introduced in 1961 at a price of $199.95. It was reviewed in QST magazine in July 1962. The matching NTS-3 speaker was an optional accessory. The NC-155 and its speaker both have the "flip-foot", a flip out stand for the front of the set to angle the desk-mounted receiver and speaker up toward the operator.

http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/NC155.htm

Cool old radio.
I wouldn't be surprised a few more parts go south in it over the next few week of keeping it turned on.
Like to see it once it is cleaned up - you bet.

Oh yes, it will go boom. I will not even turn it back on until I get it restored.
Going to start by disassemble, clean, polish, and reassemble. Replacing old tired parts as I go. Then do a full alignment. I am going to re-stuff the old caps so they look original. Will wash the out side of the rig and maybe add some satin clear coat to hold that authentic "Nostalgia" look.

Should be a nice addition to my collection.
Thanks for watching.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.