• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter SSB

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Any one out there ever try 2m SSB? I hear that it is a hoot and you can get out many times farther than FM on simplex.I have always wanted to try it but could not justify the cost of a good VHF multi-mode.A fellow that works in one of our other regional offices is going to send me down his Sinclair Radio Labs 10m-2m transverter to use.He talks regularily over 200 miles with 160 watts max and a Cushcraft 13B2 antenna and often gets out to 300 miles without any atmospheric enhancements.Signals are usually quite strong.He says that he should be able to talk with me and my 80 watts and Cushcraft 147-11 antenna regularly at a distance of 200 miles.Just looking for any incite to this part of the hobby.Thanks.

qrnsig.gif
Garth 9VE01 PE993 CDX993 Learn from others mistakes.You can not live long enough to make them all yourself.</p>

2 meter SSB can be fun. The band openings are kind of rare. Sort of like the skip conditions are now on 10/11 meters. There is probably a net that meets at least once a week on 2-meter SSB, just to keep the band in use and test your set up for when the band does open. I have made a few 500 mile contacts using 100 watts into a ground plane, real short QSO’s.

I know of a 17 element boomer in southern California for sale, real cheap, only catch you have to pick it up.

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.