• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna flat wire by the window

Johnny

Sep 27, 2010
Hello,
for my CB antenna as I prefer not to make hole in the wall to get the wire I used a piece of flat ribbon wire to pass it thought the closing of the window, it is supposed to be used with satellite dish for TV but inside of the wire the RF ribbon is very thin and the ground is very close to the RF ribbon and when I use my CB it sends out 4W AM and 1WFM, all that without SWR because I use a matcher, without the matcher the SWR was huge.
But with a dummy load it was measured 10W AM and 4W FM
Do you think this solution is problematic or to avoid or ok ?

passefenetrexq3.jpg

Sorry for the English but I tried to do my best.

With the "matcher", your transmitter sees a good match but the actual SWR on the antenna system -- everything downstream from the "matcher" -- is going to be high.

Comet makes the CTC-50M, which is basically the same idea, only without all the sharp edges:

CTC-50M.jpg

Those devices with a flat cable do work. They also have limitations just like coaxial cables do, and in most cases have more limitations than coaxial cables do. Those 'flat' cables are not coaxial by the way. As long as you keep those limitations in mind, they should work just fine.
As 'hookedon6' said, there are other alternatives to making holes in walls. Or, why not use a pre-existing hole? I haven't seen a structure yet that didn't have them (at least the ones you live in).
- 'Doc

So you close the window on the flat cable. Okay, if the window is metal-framed, you're creating havoc with this piece of twinlead, or even CAT5 stuff, with a large chunk of metal that close to it.

If the window is wooden, you still have a large problem with four 90-degree bends in the cable.

Hello,
for my CB antenna as I prefer not to make hole in the wall to get the wire I used a piece of flat ribbon wire to pass it thought the closing of the window, it is supposed to be used with satellite dish for TV but inside of the wire the RF ribbon is very thin and the ground is very close to the RF ribbon and when I use my CB it sends out 4W AM and 1WFM, all that without SWR because I use a matcher, without the matcher the SWR was huge.
But with a dummy load it was measured 10W AM and 4W FM
Do you think this solution is problematic or to avoid or ok ?

passefenetrexq3.jpg

Sorry for the English but I tried to do my best.

We all make sacrifices for the one's we love.

If your windows are wood, you can make a small incision in the bottom of the lower (or upper, if you wish) sash just large enough for the window to close and still let a RG58U coax pass through without it's being crushed. I use a drill at an appropriate angle to do the work, but a round file works well, too. You will never see the cut out with the window closed, and you can repair it with some wood putty if you ever stop using it.

By the way, your English is fine.(y)

Hello,
thank you ! I'll try to cut a small part in the wood part where the window close.
And is it bad if for exemple my radio gives out 20W on a dummy load, and on the antenna with a matcher it gives out just 4W (which is enough for me) but with absolutely not any SWR but really nothing, the needle even doesn't move at all, is it bad for the transistors ?

Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.