• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Tuner Question

B

BirdManD104

Why would putting an automatic antenna tuner in-line cause my recieved signals to go from a s5-7 to nothing? Basically when I enable the antenna tuner (built into the set) my recieve gets killed. Any ideas?

Thanks all.

</p>

Multiband dipole? Is it an Alpha Delta DX-CC or something else? What band are you trying to tune, and what is the coverage of your dipole?

Moleculo

</p>

Is there another component to the equation, like an amp that is inline now?

One other thing: You mentioned that it's the antenna tuner built into the rig. On my Icom, the internal tuner is not intended to be used when the SWR is greater than 3:1, otherwise you can damage the internal tuner. Is your Kenwood the same way? It definately sounds like something is wrong it.

Moleculo

</p>

OK, I'm familiar with those spreaders...I have the CC up. I would bet that there's one stray tie wire that is touching one of the other elements. Or maybe one of the element wires is touching another wire. When i put mine up, I wasn't satisfied with the spreaders; there wasn't enough of them. I made a whole bunch of spreaders out of zip ties to place in between the spreaders it came with to prevent them from touching. Like Doc said...I would look at whatever you changed.

Moleculo

</p>

I stretched them as tight as possible, then folded it back on the spreader around itself. I had to adjust them a bit to dial in the SWR on the freq I wanted. The wires are so stiff, though, it was hard to get them really spread straight. Plus it can get pretty windy here. That's why I ended making some more spreaders.

Moleculo

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.