• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any tricks of the trade???

T

thumbs1

Ordered the Grant LT yesterday. It should be here tomorrow. I am goin to put er in my PU. I wanted to ask you guys if there are any tricks to the trade in puttin this thing in and what should be sure to do. I have and ol CB in the truck now but it's a cheapo. The Grants a bit more expensive and I want to make sure I don't screw it up. Anything different in mounting a CB with SSB? Anything different with settin SWR to the SSB?

I will be mountin it in a full size Dodge. I have a steel saddle box across the bed behind the cab that supports a mag mount K40. The K40's been around a while but I would guess the antenna is about 5 or 6' long. The swr on this radio is around 1.5. Will it change with the Grant? As you can tell I know nothin but am learnin.

Thanks again for the help guys

thumbs

</p>

Hello,

Congrats on the new radio. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Installing a SSB capable CB is no different than any other CB. You antenna will work as it always has, and all other details re installation are the same as well. The thing to remember, is that SSB and AM are simply different ways of putting your voice 'on' the same radio signal. The frequencies are the same, so antennas and other misc things that are affected by frequency don't 'notice' any difference between AM and SSB.

If you intend to have the radio modified for extra frequencies, the K40 -might- be a bit too narrow-banded to give a good SWR on all the frequencies that a modified Grant will transmit on (26.815 mHz thru 28.045 mHz).

I -would- try to get the SWR a bit lower (assuming the 1.5:1 figure is the best you get?) than you report. It is safe, but not what it could/should be. You may want to relocate the antenna to the roof...if you can live with that.

Other than that possibility, you're good to go!

Enjoy!

Old #7

David

Old_7@cbtricks.com

http://www.cbtricks.com</p>

Plan of attack

Thanks David,

This is what I was thinkin. Since the radio is new I thought it best to run er a while to make sure shes workin right. After a bit I would like to make arrangements with you to the the soup to nuts work done including the extra frequencies. If I can use the antenna I am usin till I get the work done that would be great. If you think it best to start out with a new one that would be ok also. I would like to get your recomendation as to what antenna would work best especialy after the work is done.

Thanks again

Gary

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.