• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Barb-Wire fence antenna

I have a homemade regenerative reciever that I listen to all the time. I need a better antenna setup for it. Currently I just have a 10 foot wire from the back of it across the wall. But only a few feet away I have a 100 foot barb wire fence. I am thinking about running some coax to the fence and hooking it up as an antenna.

My question is, will it work good even if some of the fence posts are the metal "Tee" post type? Most of the are wood, but there are about 5 metal posts. I thought about just insulating 1 of the wires from the posts, probably the top wire, and hook the center of the coax to that wire, then the sheild of the coax to the other wires.

Will this work good?

The frequency range of my home made regen receiver is 500 Khz - about 10 Mhz. I have a set of inductors on a 6 position switch for the band switching. Works great and cost nothing. Though the output is only in the 5mV range so I had use an external amplifier turned all the way up and set to Phono mode set to Magnetic Cartridge to make it work. I think it would improve if I had a better antenna to bring in the signals stronger....

It has a pre-amplifier stage and then the regen stage, so it's already been hopped up some.

</p>

ok i'll bite.
yea shure dude wire it up , should be able to here for miles with that set up ,,,but the phono mode electric cartrige thing is way over my head.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.