• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

C B RADIOS AND SWR METERS?

chris_53

Aug 5, 2005
i was told this evening by a fellow cb-er in the uk that its illegal to use a cb radio while the SWR meter is attached, can anyone tell me if this is right and if so then why, im new to the world of cb's so very much still learning
many thanks..............CHRIS

That sounds kind of strange ? SWR meters don't do anymore then tell a guy weather or not he has a good or bad match ,certainly doesn't add power or anything like that, it surely wouldn't make any sence for them to be illegal in line with the radio and antenna( personally wouldn't want one in line if all I was running was a radio in the first place ,I would think there was some kind of slight lose there) ....throw a amp in line there after then I would guess to say you were illegal ? ..So many radios themselves have built in SWR meters to begin with ,I would hate to think they were illegal as well ? ....I really have know idea what the laws are in the UK ? but I must admit ...that does sound a little strange to say the least. Good Luck

I think when they are words written on a board CW ......depending on whos reading them at the time ? .....folks just tend to take them the only ways they know how ....it's usually like this ..positive replys usually will get them in return (for the most part) .....negative replys will get those as well in return. A lot of crap going on in the world these days .....IM starting to think that sences of humor are running a bit on the thin side these days......I just may be guilty myself of lacking in that department as well. )-:

a bit off topic but in response to SwitchKit, I tend to agree. Lots of friction in the US alone between fellow citizens. Everyone wants to go about their business and have it their way but toes get stepped on sooner or later, either intentionally or nonintentionally. Road rage is a perfect example of simple situations gotten out of hand whereby some people even die. Entering cynical comments on a forum board doesn't allow others to see the poster's body language or vocal inflections that are often necessary to decihper of it being made in jest or seriousness. I guess that where using plenty of emoticons enters.

o

What I saw with the original question was a question of having an SWR meter inline and if it was "legal". It simply struck me funny since there is no reason to care whether a meter is inline or not, so any sarcasm was directed to the authority that would come up with such a thing. Somehow, I could see "SWRS' leaking out like gasoline with this EPA official tsk, tsking while writing a ticket. Hence, my imagination "saw" SWR just pouring out of a meter and it struck me funny, that's all.

(BTW, how many "SWR's" are there in ONE feedline? :p )

CWM

thanks for all ur replies guys. as i said im very new to the world of cb-ing and i asked this question as i was told while chatting to a fellow cb-er in the uk that it was illegal, so i thought i would ask in here as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge in here.as for the reply by CW , well , it didnt offend me in the slightest, and i would hate to think that a question i had posted was the start of an arguement .anyway ...thx again for you're replies and help..........

many thanks........CHRIS.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.