• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

can i use cable from comcast to make a coax for my rigs and cb

all i was is stated a facts and you know what screw the people who try to get me flamed but hey i just got home and what i got is solder type PL 259 UHF type connectors so well see how good it works soon... but hey thats why i want to get to know more about hams and hey least im experimenting see what works and doesnt for me and you know what least i can say that i tryed

Okie dokie...(y)

Tell us what you learned good or bad.

Hell even the great radio operater had to make a step in some direction.

You are one reason why we are the levels we are today. Instead of using Smoke signals or like where I was born, literally hollering at one another across the mountains.

also what radio and antenna are ya using?

do you have any way to check your SWR?

Are you going to use the Coax as a Dipole? Or strictly from radio to antenna?

right now im only using my cobra 29 wx nw with bluetooth and so far i havent heard anybody yet and after all its sat nite and a holiday weekend and ill be hearing somebody later on truckers always driving by me and i do pick up truckers pretty far and im just using straight black cb antenna nothing major and so far i like my swr and thats reading 1 1/2 a lot better reading than before.. strictly from radio to antenna no amp either so ill be updating this post when i know more.. right now im just testing things, im not hooking anything else just yet its only a cb radio.. lol

right now im only using my cobra 29 wx nw with bluetooth and so far i havent heard anybody yet and after all its sat nite and a holiday weekend and ill be hearing somebody later on truckers always driving by me and i do pick up truckers pretty far and im just using straight black cb antenna nothing major and so far i like my swr and thats reading 1 1/2 a lot better reading than before.. strictly from radio to antenna no amp either so ill be updating this post when i know more.. right now im just testing things, im not hooking anything else just yet its only a cb radio.. lol

Sounds like things are going well then. :D

If you hear from anyone in Lock Haven tell'em I said Howdy:pop:

will do superidgit.. and ya i do think its copper cause it looks like it and i do believe its the older comcast cables when there was 2 lines going in the cable box and thats way before they upgraded there systems and cables.. im not sure how long but its gotta be longer than 200 feet and im glad i got enough cable to move around... i took a gamble wasnt sure how it was going to do but i must have done something right... lol as of right now i would recommend it and ya im still doin tests and surprised how much better it is. like i said before im a noob in the ham radio and soldering went great didnt take that much time and im surprised how much less noise i hear now... hey if you got extra cable like i have try it.. dont get me wrong was kind of scared and didnt know if i just wasted 6 bucks for the connectors..

One way to use 75Ω coax is to use two antennas (like having two on a truck).

If the two antennas have 50Ω feed point impedances and the 75Ω coax to each antenna is 1/4λ (or any odd 1/4λ multiple), the coax will transform the 50Ω at the antenna to 100Ω at the input. What happens when you put two 100Ω impedances in parallel (both coax cables into 1 connector)?? You get 50Ω!!!!

Last edited:
One way to use 75Ω coax is to use two antennas (like having two on a truck).

If the two antennas have 50Ω feed point impedances and the 75Ω coax to each antenna is 1/4λ (or any odd 1/4λ multiple), the coax will transform the 50Ω at the antenna to 100Ω at the input. What happens when you put two 100Ω impedances in parallel (both coax cables into 1 connector)?? You get 50Ω!!!!
this is a 12 year old post

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.