• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chip Quik low mp solder for chip removal?

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
Just curious if anyone has ever reused it and how many times that might be possible before it loses its low mp or becomes too difficult to work with.

I never knew about low mp solders until yesterday when it popped up as a suggestion while ordering solder and flux for aluminum. Of course, once I bit that hook, it didn't hesitate to show me all the other cool soldering stuff that I didn't know about, and now I need to get the mail before "someone else" does or I am going to have some serious explaining to do lol.

Wasn't trying to promote the brand... Looking up fields metal and other low mp alloys this morning on wiki (nice chart of compositions) and I realized that indium and bismuth are the things lowering the mp. I get that indium is about as rare as silver, but after seeing the price per pound of 90%+ indium, chip quik could have included a little lube with my purchase. When I run out, I will get the base metals and make my own.

The videos I have seen on it all say that its mp is lowered my the addition of solder. That tells me two things, 1-the composition is not all that critical, and 2- to some extent, I can keep adding solder. That circles me back to my original question as I think that is extremely valuable information for the people here. When I find out, I will report back.

Last edited:
brandon7681,
I wasn't saying you were promoting anything but if you were I would not take offense to it.

I found it clever that you were talking about

"low mp solder"​

and then the comment:

show me all the other cool soldering stuff.

Maybe not realized at the time but a "funny" none the less.

David

brandon7681,
I wasn't saying you were promoting anything but if you were I would not take offense to it.

I found it clever that you were talking about

"low mp solder"​

and then the comment:

show me all the other cool soldering stuff.

Maybe not realized at the time but a "funny" none the less.

David
that went right over my head lol I actually meant cool as in interesting, but yea, cool temps too!

All this stemmed from a desire to solder copper wire to aluminum tv elements. I have been using a product similar to alumaweld and a propane torch to add a layer that is solderable, but it's a hassle and is not too reliable. A little research led me to alloys containing tin with either zinc or indium, so I also have In52/Sn48 and Sn91/Zn9 coming with a little bottle of special flux. I am hoping the 52/48 can also be used for chip removal.

Reactions: Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.